Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap lens for 16x20in

Cheap lens for 16x20in

Hi,

I am looking for a cheap or/and easy to find lens for 16x20in? It would be for photography on paper. Can anybody help?

Re: Cheap lens for 16x20in

Kodak Anastigmat 21 1/4" is one of the lesser expensive lenses, I've had good experiences with a 19" RD Artar, a 360 Componon and a 210 6.8 Angulon as well (for contact printing purposes, at least)

use one of your existing shutters from another lens (copal 3 or BIGGEST shutter you got) and +1 diopter close up lens/meniscus...give you 1000 mm lens which should cover pretty good...just no "corrections"..but maybe none needed....

stop it down if you still get some shutter vignetting0--and to sharpen the image nicer...it works....hey--at least something to play with and get a feel for it, you know?

Protar VII f12.5 23 1/8" focal length will cover 18X22 at smaller apertures with full correction and sharpness. These are usually sold combined with another Series VII lens to give a faster (f6.3 f7, f7.7) shorter focus lens. So if you buy a Protar VIIa that includes a 23 1/8" f12.5 element or a 27" element, you'd be good to go.

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...schlomb_8.html

Even cheaper. 26" or 28" element from a Turner Reich 8X10 triple convertible. Not as good as the Protar, but cheap cheap cheap.

I've used a Zeiss APO-Tessar 450mm f/9 on my 16x20 with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    use one of your existing shutters from another lens (copal 3 or BIGGEST shutter you got) and +1 diopter close up lens/meniscus...give you 1000 mm lens which should cover pretty good...just no "corrections"..but maybe none needed....

stop it down if you still get some shutter vignetting0--and to sharpen the image nicer...it works....hey--at least something to play with and get a feel for it, you know?

Interesting, but will it work? I could order to make an achromatic doublet, but what parameter should it have?

ha HAAAAA...do I know the audience here or what?

just start with a regular diopter---walgreens cheaters if thy got them big enough lenses...tape to the back of a shutter and play...

doublets in long focal lengths start to get EXPENSIVE and small...better off getting a proper lens in that case....

anything you need will need LONG focal lengths and will, of course, necessarialy be slow

like i said...biggest shutter you got--or no shutter---just longest lens you can find, which is probably a diopter....if you stop it down enough it can surprise you....if you want to start getting sharper, I suggest a proper lens--no sense in re-inventing the wheel--you'll waste time and money and end up buying a proper lens anyways--besides--if it dont work out, you can always sell it--you'll have a hard time selling a homemade piece of crap...only one person I know of can do that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Łukasz Owsianka View Post
    Interesting, but will it work? I could order to make an achromatic doublet, but what parameter should it have?
    You could take two achromats, say telescope achromats, and make your own Rapid Rectilinear. RRs perform well, you'd be able to make stellar contact prints.

Surplus Shed and Edmund Optical are two sources.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You could take two achromats, say telescope achromats, and make your own Rapid Rectilinear. RRs perform well, you'd be able to make stellar contact prints.

Surplus Shed and Edmund Optical are two sources.
    Be careful what you buy. I noticed some of them have different and limited ranges of the spectrum.