Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking photographs on the Isle of Wight

Taking photographs on the Isle of Wight

I'll be in Cowes for five days at the beginning of November. I know Cowes well, but I'm much less familiar with the rest of the island. Does anyone have any locations to suggest for photography? We'll have a car, a 4x5 camera, a 150mm lens and some Readyload T-Max and Portra.

If you're into that sort of thing and if it is still running at this time of year the IOW steam railway is far more authentic than most of the preserved railways on the mainland. The view accross Freshwater Bay from Tennison Downs is also good but it involves a fair walk. Don't forget to visit Dimbola Lodge.
    Pete.

>Don't forget to visit Dimbola Lodge.

definitely worth a vist if you are in the area

www.dimbola.co.uk
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Thanks. I've driven by the Tennyson estate, but I don't recall seeing Dimbola Lodge and I had never heard of Julia Margaret Cameron. Sounds like a very nice place to spend a couple of hours.

"and I had never heard of Julia Margaret Cameron. Sounds like a very nice place to spend a couple of hours."

Whaaaat - she is one of THE major figures (for several reasons) in the history of photography - especially in the development of it's aesthetic. It's like saying you've never heard of Ansel Adams (yeah, I know...), especially as we are talking about large format. Much of her work still stands as a powerful emotional and creative statement. Indeed it is fresher and newer than 95% of what is published in most magazines and books today. This is especially telling considering what she was dealing with in terms of equipment - wet plates, incredibly slow speeds etc. As well as her being a woman working in the mid 1800's
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Tim,

Hate to tell you this, but I'm afraid that my command of 19th century photography, and for that matter 20th century photography, is less than it might be. I appreciate the introduction to Ms. Cameron's work, and I'll probably take a run down to Freshman Bay while I'm on the island.

Ansel who?

Rory,

Try St Catherine's Down on the south coast near Blackgang Chine. The National Trust own parts of the down and the views on a clear day are superb looking west along the coast. You can climb up to a medieval stone tower which looks like England's attempt to beat the US into space. It is actually a lighthouse built as a penance by some local bigwig for getting involved in ship wrecking activities. That whole area from there to Dimbola lodge gives great vantage points.

Colin

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1830609

Check www.islandviews.co.uk for some ideas (or not)... Given the time of year, high seas crashing against the white cliffs might be interesting.

I'm off to Cumbria next week myself - trying for some Autumn colour on the fells (and some B&W minus all the tourists)...

Good luck!

Oh yes, if you are not already aware of them, take your wallet with you to Beken of Cowes (www.beken.co.uk) - a year or so ago I managed to get out with only a couple of calendars and posters - the temptation to dig deeper for a print was very strong...

Cheers,