Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ansco Studio 8x10...How to Get Her Home

Ansco Studio 8x10...How to Get Her Home

I had to have it. She is an Ansco 8X10 studio camera with studio stand. Big and heavy. The problem is the camera and stand is in Ohio and I am in New York.So I have to drive eleven hours each way or figure another way to get it home. I have heard of people that pick things up and deliver them.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Ansco Studio 8x10...How to Get Her Home

You want "less than load" shipping. There are a number of trucking companies that do this. I've only researched it for my own stuff, and haven't actually tried it.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Seem like it's time for a road trip. Any chance you could take a few days off and do some photography on the trip and even better is there someone you can drag along on the adventure. Good luck with your new purchase and getting it home. Should be lots of fun.

Roger

I hope I can avoid taking the trip. Brian, thanks for the tip. I found a few companies and requested a price quote.I new this would be a bit of a pain, but the price was worth it.And what the heck,I have four vacation days that I must use by year end.I will have to see if the shipping cost is reasonable.Even if the shipping cost the same as gas and tolls, I'll go for it.

If it's like the Century stands, they pack into my hatchback easily. I just remove the tabletop from the stand, put my car back seat down, and slide it in.

Is this going to be put on a pallet and boxed, packaged, wrapped etc. before the LTL carrier picks it up? What Carriers are you getting quotes from?

I had a shipper put a darkroom sink on a pallet, wrap it in plastic, & then Forward Air delivered it from New Mexico to Nashville for $100.

But someone has to prepare your load for the carrier & take it to them.

Good luck.

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

ny to chicago. strapped to a pallet will run you about $200-250 depending on if you have a residential address or a business address.

i just strap it to the pallet. sent 4 all over the USA and one 11x14 deardorff studio camera AND stand! to cali!

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I have a working arrangement with the local lawnmower shop where I know the family; they let me have "commercial" deliveries made there. I not only don't have to pay the surcharge, I don't have to play telephone tag with the shipping company and rendezvous with the driver on delivery day. A plate of home-made oatmeal cookies is later exchanged for the load, and we are all happy.

Incidentally, one potential issue with having it palletized and shipped is that an overzealous guy with a strapping tool can destroy something like a camera (or even a stand) in seconds.

Flying to the destination and renting a one-way vehicle for the return works for longer trips and larger loads, but probably can't compete with a freight forwarder on cost alone.

So far it looks like I'm going to Ohio. The two quotes I got were 850.00 and 455.00. Ridiculous!! I paid 350.00 for the camera and stand. I still have not been contacted by the seller after two attempts. I'm getting nervous, but I paid him through Paypal, so I guess I'm covered. Maybe the seller is away for a few days.