Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jammed retaining ring

Jammed retaining ring

This pertains to a 6x6 camera--but perhaps the problem could be shared with bigger lenses. I have a Franka Solida folding camera with an Ennagon 75mm lens (nice glass)--which is not flush with the standard (angles off to the left) because someone (not me-- I just bought it) screwed the retaining ring behind the standard on cockeyed--and it is simply jammed on tight. I've already done some interior finish damage monkeying with it and am considering hauling out a Dremel and grinding through the ring to get it off.

Any other avenues? Anyone know what the diameter of a replacement ring would be (if the threads on the lens aren't ruined as well).

Re: Jammed retaining ring

Try unscrewing it with a lens wrench first, don't dremel unless there's no other choice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spanner-Wren...#ht_500wt_1156

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

The wrench Ari mensioned is sold new at http://www.skgrimes.com/products/spanner-wrench in two forms.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

There are only three sizes of retaining ring really: Too large, Too Small and Wrong Thread!

Ok—If you do not feel confident in resolving this yourself, I would get a repaire technician involved.

I use Mike Hakeem at Professional Camera Repair here in Houston. S. K. Grimes is well thought of by many as well.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I'm not familair with your particular problem, but the most effective way to help loosen a stuck nut is heat. Try applying some moderate heat directly to the nut; this will make it expand and should make it easier to remove.
    Hell is other people.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Douglas, where are you located? One of us maybe nearby and can help you.

Please put your location in your profile so that it is displayed with your name.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Carefully apply some penetrating oil to the threads. Wait. Apply some more, wait. Try unscrewing it again.
    striving for mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Henderson View Post
    This pertains to a 6x6 camera--but perhaps the problem could be shared with bigger lenses. I have a Franka Solida folding camera with an Ennagon 75mm lens (nice glass)--which is not flush with the standard (angles off to the left) because someone (not me-- I just bought it) screwed the retaining ring behind the standard on cockeyed--and it is simply jammed on tight. I've already done some interior finish damage monkeying with it and am considering hauling out a Dremel and grinding through the ring to get it off.

Any other avenues? Anyone know what the diameter of a replacement ring would be (if the threads on the lens aren't ruined as well).
    Douglas,

Reading your posting... especially with your descriptions of "not being flush"... "angles off to the left", "screwed the retaining ring behind the standard on cockeyed" and "simply jammed on tight..."

If I were in your shoes, I'd be sending this lens into someone like S.K. Grimes or the repair person Drew mentioned in his posting.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't be trying to screw it off with a spanner wrench either. You may inadvertently strip the threads even more.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Best of luck on resolving this problem.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Crossthreaded. I'd Dremel it off. Trying to unscrew it could just bugger up the lens threads more.

Thank you for the responses. By "monkeying" with the ring, I meant I was using a spanner wrench--as carefully and as forcefully as I dared. The term "cross threaded" does seem to apply. The jammed ring is not even on the same plane as the threads--and trying to get it off looks to make things worse.

Sending it off to someone with experience is the smartest thing to do. Dremel is the cheapest--right up until I do real harm. Beautiful little lens and camera.