Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shutter Choices

Shutter Choices

I think it a false economy to buy a cheaper, older shutter in place of a new one. While I have several well functioning Ilex, Compound, Betax and Compur shutters, they are, in my experience, less robust and dependable than copal shutters. Repair on these shutters, since parts are at times lacking, can be more expensive--and this will only get worse in the coming years, since these shutters are all orphans. In addition, beyond the purchase price you will need a CLA. I would spend the extra $100 and buy a new Copal. In the long run it will probably save, not cost.

Shutter Choices

I have to agree with Jason and others. My first thought when I read your question and before anyone answered was that if I were going to make that investment I would protect it with a modern Copal shutter. Used is OK. Jotepper sold one on feebay last night for $160. After the divorce, your wife will want to get as much as possible for that casket set so put them in a good shutter.

Shutter Choices

I spoke with Adam at Grimes. The Copal option will cost $550, if they supply the shutter. If I supply a shutter, it will be $250 - $300 to do the machining. Gotta admit, it seems a little pricey for putting threads on both ends of two cylinders, though I know everyone regards the work as excellent. Adam liked the Polaroid shutters, as well as newer Compurs.

Shutter Choices

Worth noting: If you went with a CU-5 Polaroid shutter from the 127mm lens (don't get one from the 75 or 105) you could always upgrade later to a full featured Copal 1 with no further machine work. The clearances and tolerances are the same.

Shutter Choices

Thanks Jim - something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2953466409&category=30076

Shutter Choices

No, like this but with a 5" lens. There don't seem to be any running right now but they come and go. The 3" lens has a special shutter with a max aperture of about 15mm and isn't useful for too much.