Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: December 2011 portraits

Re: December 2011 portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    No, I don't do graffiti, we were just going by and stopped. He's gay so it's even more fake.
    So that's why his legs are pressed together like he's at attention on military parade
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Almost all of the portraits in this monthly thread look like they were made 50 to 150 years ago. Then there's the ridiculous mantra on this forum that the quality of a photograph should be judged on whether it has full tonal gradation. Never mind that these photographs with perfect tonal gradation, whether of a person, a flower, a landscape or a leaf, have no apparent content.

It is a pleasure to see an occasional portrait here that seems connected to the fact that we are about to be 12 years into the 21st century.
    you do what ever you can to get people to submit images, don't you?

your comment here doesn't make sense to me.. "most"? there's 4 images before Frank's, and I don't see a distant past in most of them.. maybe mine, but that' snot most..

It IS nice to see a modern looking portrait, but frankly I don't see Frank's image as a portrait.

I like Franks picture never the less. I LOVE humour in pictures.

But I'll stop submitting.
    No reason to upset wievers.....

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    It is a pleasure to see an occasional portrait here that seems connected to the fact that we are about to be 12 years into the 21st century.
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    and I don't see a distant past in most of them.. maybe mine, but that's not most..
    he just wants to see digital photos that all. isn't digital the 21st century? bwah ha ha ha.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Thanks r.e for making itt obvious you can't see past your own prejudices

Quote Originally Posted by K. Praslowicz View Post

The Serve
    That's about as modern and dystopian as one can get.

But I think RE was referring to the bulk of the images large format togs make - rocks and trees and whatnot.

Now stop messing with my compliment, I get so few! lol

Kodak Portra 160, 4x5. Taken last summer. Felt like taking some portraits with the LF. Get's a bit tiring shooting trees and rocks

Andrew Moxom

Here are my December portraits from a wet plate shoot I did last Thursday....
    All shots were made with a Kodak 2D and a Dallmeyer 3B using Old Workhorse Collodion. Exposure was 4 seconds @ F3 using the Interfit SC-655 cool light kit.

Andrew that last one made me think you were in the North of England or Scotland, I didn't know we had men like that in the USA! Cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    you do what ever you can to get people to submit images, don't you?

your comment here doesn't make sense to me.. "most"? there's 4 images before Frank's, and I don't see a distant past in most of them.. maybe mine, but that' snot most..

It IS nice to see a modern looking portrait, but frankly I don't see Frank's image as a portrait.

I like Franks picture never the less. I LOVE humour in pictures.

But I'll stop submitting.
    No reason to upset wievers.....
    Please don't stop submitting. Many of us love your work.

I like Frank's too. I agree it's not really a portrait, but which thread exactly would it fit in? It's not exactly urban landscape either just because it has graffiti in it. Wherever it belongs it's a good photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Thanks r.e for making itt obvious you can't see past your own prejudices
    Well that explains why y'all appeared to be talking to yourselves. FfVb and an older version of Firefox = some people just don't appear on my reading. But I can disable it when there's enough "talking to yourselves" discussion to risk the "train wreck effect" where I can't help looking but am pretty sure once I do I'll regret it. I did and I did.

I totally agree with your comment, Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    That's about as modern and dystopian as one can get.

But I think RE was referring to the bulk of the images large format togs make - rocks and trees and whatnot.

Now stop messing with my compliment, I get so few! lol
    Nothing wrong with rocks and trees. I LIKE rocks and trees, and I LIKE photos in the older style. The 21st century is vastly over rated. I'm not even sure the 20th was a good move. Then again I've been accused of being a bit out of time anyway. I also like plenty of new stuff, but not merely because it is new.

I don't think the tennis serve is exactly a portrait either but as Frank says, it's certainly modern and dystopian. Both it and Frank's photo are modern but I like them.

Now let's get back to the photos - and I for one want to see more from gandolfi (and maybe some wet plate or other old stuff that could be from the 19th century too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I don't think the tennis serve is exactly a portrait either but as Frank says, it's certainly modern and dystopian. Both it and Frank's photo are modern but I like them.
    I see it the same as if I had worked her other hobby, which is playing violin, and did a more traditional tight upper body shot of her while playing it. Both would relay the same message about the subject, this hobby just needed a less traditional point of view.