Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adox Papers

Re: Adox Papers

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Freestyle lists the country of origin and does indeed show Variotone as made in England, but MCC 110 as made in Germany.
    Yes, MCC is made in Germany by Inoviscoat (former Agfa engineers, http://www.inoviscoat.de/en/) for Adox on a former Agfa coating machine. The main difference to Agfa MCC 111 is the base color. Variotone is made by Ilford.

I have been struggling with ADOX fine print glossy FB. Extreme lack of contrast.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Eric--
    Are you giving the prints enough development? Freestyle says 2-3 minutes minimum.

And you're using only red safelights?

Hi Peter. Yes in both cases. I have given it up to 4 min's in fresh Dektol 1:2. The paper is not fogged either. I am VERY disappointed in this paper however the bunch over on FADU think I might have a bad box. Sucks cuz it's a 100 sheet box. I have tried using max magenta filtration, blue filtration and Ilford's grade 5 filter. Still lacking in contrast. I have also tried giving it LOTS of exposure as well. Still flat. It's not like I am a rookie at this as I have done professional printing for many years. In any case I will use it for low contrast contact sheets or maybe Lith.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

I agree with Eric on this, the paper has been a disappointment to me also. I'm developing in LPD 1+1 or Ansco 130 for three minutes plus 1 min water bath. I've exposed with white light for 1:15 and burned some areas for another 1:15 and still no contrast. The entire pack of 11X14 has a black mark in one corner when processed and in some cases the emulsion chips off the edge. I bought it from Freestyle.

That's truly disappointing. No question the paper's defective. I hope you've both contacted Freestyle and told them you want to return it. Hard to believe they wouldn't stand behind a product for which they're the sole U.S. distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Latner View Post
    That's truly disappointing. No question the paper's defective. I hope you've both contacted Freestyle and told them you want to return it. Hard to believe they wouldn't stand behind a product for which they're the sole U.S. distributor.
    Quite frankly, it is easier for me to change papers without the hassles of complaining to Freestyle and going through that process. At least I've got B&H and Adorama a few subway stops away.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    Yes, MCC is made in Germany by Inoviscoat (former Agfa engineers, http://www.inoviscoat.de/en/) for Adox on a former Agfa coating machine. The main difference to Agfa MCC 111 is the base color. Variotone is made by Ilford.
    Is there a relationship between Inoviscoat and PhotoIMPEX? It was my understanding that PhotoIMPEX bought the Agfa test coating equipment and hired former Agfa engineers. Didn't PhotoIMPEX also acquire the Adox trademark?
    al

Quote Originally Posted by al olson View Post
    Is there a relationship between Inoviscoat and PhotoIMPEX? It was my understanding that PhotoIMPEX bought the Agfa test coating equipment and hired former Agfa engineers. Didn't PhotoIMPEX also acquire the Adox trademark?
    Yes, Fotoimpex bought the test coater and test emulsion making containers from the Agfa Photo bankruptcy, and they own the ADOX trade name.
    Inoviscoat is a separate company in Monheim, formed by Agfa engineers, and they make all kinds of products that need coating (http://www.inoviscoat.de/en/). Fotoimpex' test coater in Bad Saarow allows only a 24cm wide coating, and their emulsion container is only 40 liters. The Inoviscoat coater, nicknamed "Phoenix", is 105cm wide, it is a former Agfa production machine. The MCC 110 emulsion is also made there in larger batches than the Fotoimpex machines allow. It is my understanding that Inoviscoat and Fotoimpex were certainly cooperating on the development of the MCC110 and other products.

(All of these informations are from the German Fotoimpex darkroom forum web site)

Eric Woodbury

I printed with Variotone this weekend. I love the coloration, but it hit a wall on contrast. I tried to get it to go up from 3 to 3.5 to 4 and even 5. After 3.5, I didn't see any change in contrast. It may have actually come back a bit (less than the 3.5). Very odd.

I'm not seeing fogging. I'm developing 3 min in Legacy Pro Eco whatever. A good basic developer that I've used successfully with other papers. I will write Freestyle but I expect to move to a different paper for higher contrast work.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com