Thread: Hello from Texas

Hello from Texas

Greetings everyone,

I joined LF forum just a couple of days ago. I have been aware of this site for a while, but I have not spent much time here. I have been an amateur photographer for many years. I started in high school as a yearbook photographer. Mom and Dad let me put a darkroom in the house. I was pretty active until college when I fell in love, got married, had kids, started my career, etc.

I didn't shoot much during those years beyond a few snapshots. After my kids got a little older, I jumped into the digital world and started taking more pics of the kids. I teach in a small community. I ended up shooting a lot of sports and sharing pics with the yearbook and local paper. As we tend to do, one thing let to another and I again became immersed in photography.

I chanced upon a great estate sale a little over a year ago a picked up a lot of really nice equipment (35mm and Digital). This has fueled my enthusiasm even more. I began shooting film again in B&W. This is what more or less has led me here.

The lure of those huge, beautiful negatives is hard to ignore. I am really starting to wonder if I would enjoy a 4X5 camera. I have been using a tilt/shift lens recently and I like the way it allows me to manipulate an image.

Anyway, that's a long winded hello. I mainly came here to learn and ask questions and try to decide if LF photography is something I want to try.

Gary

Octogenarian

Re: Hello from Texas

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the LF forum.

Where in Texas are you located?

If you are in the DFW metroplex, there is an active group of large format shooters in the area.

Watch this forum for the time and place of their get-togethers.

Re: Hello from Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Hi Gary,

Welcome to the LF forum.

Where in Texas are you located?

If you are in the DFW metroplex, there is an active group of large format shooters in the area.

Watch this forum for the time and place of their get-togethers.
    I'm south of Abilene. I'm about 3 hours west of Ft. Worth. It's not too far to travel depending on work. I figured there were folks around; just meeting them is the problem. With teaching, I have a flexible schedule in the summer. There's no such thing as being off, but I have some control over when things happen.

I'm excited to be here and I look forward to getting to know some of the folks here. I spend a fair amount of time over at RFF; I recognized at least one person here that is also active on that forum.