Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on the Gitzo GT 3541L?

Any thoughts on the Gitzo GT 3541L?

I've been using an aluminum Benro tripod, I forget which one, and it basically works ok but it's a little flexible. On top of that, the center column is seized up, I can't loosen it to extend it (not that I use it too often, but still). I have a shooting trip to Mumbai coming up in the very near future, and the last thing I wanted was to rely on (what I consider to be) an unreliable piece of kit.

So I decided to bite the bullet and go for a decent tripod. I bought the Benro when I was just experimenting with 4x5, but now I'm committed to the format and am happy with my entire kit other than the tripod.

I considered my options for a while but I needed to make a choice so I have time to test out whatever I get before my trip. I ordered a GT 3541L today...was it the right choice?

Just looking for any experiences since it's a pricey tripod and I want to make sure it's up to the task. I did consider a 5-series, but they're very heavy and large for travel. Ultimately for use close to home and in the car I'd love one of those Gitzo Giant tripods. But this one is intended as a general use and travel tripod.

I'm shooting mostly with a Linhof Master Technika 2000, my longest lens is 300mm. The head will be a Linhof 3-way leveling head (3663). I also sometimes work with a Technikardan 45S which isn't much heavier than the Technika but it has a higher profile. I sometimes use a Manfrotto 410 geared head, but not too often.

Will this be a good combo? Should I have gone all the way for a 5-series? Is aluminum better and/or more durable?

Re: Any thoughts on the Gitzo GT 3541L?

I woulda asked this BEFORE I ordered Yikes! That's a lotta $$$$$. What do you need the center column for?
    I'm 6'3" and I use a Gitzo 1325. Rarely have I wished for a center column as on flat ground with a camera mounted, the ground glass is right at eye level at full extension. No longer made but the gt3530ls is the eqiuvalent (yikes, the prices have gone way up) I think my 1325 was under $500. I use it with everything up to 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I woulda asked this BEFORE I ordered Yikes! That's a lotta $$$$$. What do you need the center column for?
    I'm 6'3" and I use a Gitzo 1325. Rarely have I wished for a center column as on flat ground with a camera mounted, the ground glass is right at eye level at full extension. No longer made but I'm sure there's an equivalent. I use it with everything up to 8x10.
    Well, yeah, sure I would have asked first in a perfect world. But I'm up against a deadline and jumped the gun before asking. I'm almost sure that it was the right choice and I ordered from B&H, so the return policy is good just in case.

I don't use a center column all that often, but I do in two scenarios: for portraits where I might want to fine-tune the camera height quickly without fiddling with all of the tripod legs; and for higher angles (in which case I stand on something).

But the fact that the center column on my 1-year-old Benro is stuck for no particular reason raises questions with me about the tripod's reliability. That's more of an issue than actually needing the column. What if something else gets stuck or breaks? Anyway, considering it's size, it doesn't seem all that sturdy.

My previous tripod was a Gitzo 1500--now that thing was sturdy, but really big and really heavy. I'd love another one of those for shooting in wind storms but it was too big for travel and in any event, mine was stolen.

I think the 1325 is equivalent to a current series 3, so I'm glad to hear yours works well.

Noah,

I have the similar 3541xls, without center column. I went without center column since when the center column is extended, you basically have a monopod (though a short one) on top of a tripod. I'm 6"1", so I wanted a tripod that was tall enough to accommodate both my height and setting up on a slope. If I don't need the 4th section extended - on level ground - I only use the stouter top 3 leg sections. I got mine about 4 years ago when shooting solely DSLR. But it's been sturdy enough for me when shooting LF - I have a Toyo 45AX, and lenses up to 500mm (which requires the relatively heavy extension back). I've been very happy with the 3541xls.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I decided against the systematic since I've heard lots of stories about the top plate coming loose from the tripod. Since I like to carry the thing over my shoulder, that would be bad.

I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but it was a concern for me.

The center column probably won't get much use, but once in a while I like to shoot over fences, etc. or just get a higher angle to reduce mess in the foreground.

But it seems like the legs are good. If the center column seems shaky I can return it and order the systematic version. But from my experience, gitzo center columns are rock solid if they're not extended. So that means if I need stability for shooting in the wind or for long exposures, I don't have to use it. But it's there if I need it.

I was more concerned about the legs themselves, and it sounds like they'll be good for my needs. I'll report back, mine should arrive tomorrow.
    Last edited by Noah A; 21-Nov-2011 at 08:32. Reason: typo

Noah,
    I've had an Induro A413 for over a year now, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
    It's basically a Gitzo copy, but a very well-made copy nonetheless, and does not feel cheap at all.
    It's served me without complaint on everything from a Canon 5D to the Toyo 8x10; considering what it does, it isn't that heavy at 8lbs.
    The price will make you look twice: I bought mine on sale for $175, but they usually go for around $225 or so.
    Something to consider.

Noah,

I have had a Gitzo 1348 for 10+ years. It is no longer made but comparable to the current 13X carbon fiber series. While "old" Carbon fiber technology - I still use this tripod often with a 5x7 view camera and everything smaller.

I agree with several posters; make do without the center column if you can. It does add to stability. Especially when you get a view camera, with bellows, blowing in the wind. Check the specs to ensure that the fully extended tripod will meet your height requirements.

Big carbon fiber benefits: rigidity/weight ratio, good in cold weather, folds well.

One last thing; don't put too much faith in the weight capacity estimates of the manufacturers. borrow/rent if you can and try it.

Good luck in your journey.

I used the XLS model with a 4x5 Technika V for a couple of years, same 3-way Linhof head too. It is undoubtedly the best tripod combination... for me, I thought everything was matched up very well for weight/bulk/stability. The Really Right Stuff tripod has been introduced since and may be a slightly better and a little more expensive tripod but I still think the Linhof 3-way leveling head is the best compact 4x5 head ever. I don't like all the Arca-Swiss quick release BS, it adds a lot of expense without really doing anything worthwhile for a view camera mounting (it has value for smaller formats no question especially for macro and pans).

I have the same as Bob, with a Gitzo pan-tilt head. My thoughts are that it is lighter than the 1348 CF it replaced, maybe too light for a 6 pound 4x5. It's plenty rigid but at about 6 pounds camera weight, it starts seeming top-heavy whereas the 1348 did not. But I bought the new one for hiking (plus the locks) and for that, and I imagine travel, it's great.

When working out of the car or on short jaunts I prefer the 553X (number?) with the 1570M head, and a column. Even with an 8x20 on it, I can't feel any flex caused by the column. Raising the column does raise the center of gravity though, which may make a difference especially if you're near the edge with camera weight.

Cheers, Steve

Yeah with a 5-series I can't imagine having a problem using at least a few inches of the column since it is so massive.