Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seperating pack film into sheets

seperating pack film into sheets

Ok, so I am new to LF, but have been in photography for a long time now and I have found that no matter what the hinderance may be there is always somone who is able to overcome it.

I want to use instant films in a Polaroid 545i film holder, which does not allow for the use of pack film. While ebay has plenty of polaroid 4x5 sheet films available most of them cost way too much. There are, however plenty of inexpensive Fuji and Polaroid pack films also available, so I wanted to know if some enterprising person out there knows of a way to seperate pack film into usable individual sheets which could be used in a 545i.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: seperating pack film into sheets

I do not have the answer you seek. Some information that may be of interest.

You may be able to buy integral 4x5 film off the shelf:

http://new55project.blogspot.com/

in the not to distant future.

The Fuji pack instant consists of two pieces, the negative and positive paper. While in the pack, they are not in close contact. When processed thru the roller they paste together due to the chemicals. To make a integral film one would the to pull the sheets out of the pack and attach the paper portion to an envelope system so the exposure could be controlled. This seems a tall order. Even something as simple as re-loading a Ready Load would be a challenge.

Regards,

Tim

4x5 instant pack film is no longer manufactured by Fuji, which might be worth bearing in mind if you really wanted to experiment with making your own 4x5 sheet instant film from 4x5 pack film. The smaller pack film is still in production.

Best,
    Helen

Helen,
    Is the news of Fuji's, 4 X 5 instant pack, total demise, straight from Fuji?
    Is this world wide, or is 4 X 5 color still being produced for Japan/Asian markets?
    Any links?
    Marc

I am aware of the New55 film project, but until they get things going I will need a more accesible option...I guess I am probably going to have to deal with traditional processing. Sigh.

I know a lot of folks love dark room work, but I never enjoy that stuff. I guess I can just do the negatives and scan them into my computer for the final prints. Well maybe the New55 Film guys will get things rolling soon.

Marc,

I got it straight from a Fuji rep. It's quite important to us commercially, so I wanted to speak to a trustworthy source. I was told that the production line had been dismantled, so it isn't a 'wait for the next batch' thing. They have good stock of FP-100C45 right now at current sales rates, but it is finite. The smaller format is safe for the moment, thanks to MP-4 cameras, in both 100C and 3000BW (scientific use of the 3000BW continues to create demand).

No links, I'm afraid. Sorry. I don't know how widely this is known, or how widely Fuji want it to be known. Sounds most untrustworthy coming from me like this, I know.

Best wishes,
    Helen

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

My suggestion is to pack the 545 away in a dark closet and forget about it.

so 3000B45 is toast as well ? <sigh>
    Last edited by Fred L; 17-Nov-2011 at 17:16. Reason: typo
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Helen, Thanks.
    I never could quite convince myself to pay the $125-$175(+), for used Fuji PA-45
    or Polaroid 550 backs, for 4 X 5 size Fuji pack film. And, then to pay $28.00(+) for a pack of film.
    Glad now I never did.

I do have 405 backs for the smaller 3.25 X 4.25 Fuji offerings, in 4X5 and MF mounts. Shooting more color then B&W,
    and oddly, the FP100c is usually cheaper than either of the two B&W's still on the shelves in the smaller size.

Using the smaller size Fuji pack film on my LF camera was/is cheap learning and lens/exposure checking.
    Minus the $39.00 cost for the back; $0.80 cents a shot, vs almost $3.00 a shot in the 4X5 instant size.

To the OP,
    Ditch the 545i back; get a Fuji PA-145 or Polaroid 405 back in 4X5 mount,
    use the smaller 3 1/4" X 4 1/4" pack films from Fuji.
    Both the FP100c (color), and FP3000b (B&W) are very good films, as is the remaining FP100b (B&W).

Fred,

There is an announcement about the discontinuance of 3000B45. It's the discontinuance of FP-100C45 that I don't have an official link for.

Regards,
    Helen