Thread: Best Stand Mount for Large Umbrella

Best Stand Mount for Large Umbrella

I'm thinking about getting one of those giant 7-foot diameter parabolic umbrellas -- Wescott actually makes one that is affordable, although not as deep as the ProFoto $$$$ one -- but rather than using the puny umbrella mount on my light, I'd like to find a reasonably portable yet sturdy umbrella mount and robust stand to mount the umbrella on. And then I can move my light(s) independently and not worry about stressing out their mounts.

The umbrella mounts I'm seeing are mostly for flimsy light Strobist shoe-mount flash stuff. Yet I don't want to go with heavy-bulky Matthews C-stands. What's a good in between?

Re: Best Stand Mount for Large Umbrella

Whatever you decide on Frank, keep in mind that those counter weights for boom arms will fit nicely a the base of even a relatively light weight stand and give it a serious amount of extra stability. (Not intended to anchor in even a decent breeze, but good enough in a light zephyr. You'll need an assistant for anything else with that big of a sail.

I don't know that they are still available, but the mounts for the Norman battery powered flash heads (LH-2?) were light weight, very heavy duty and included a robust umbrella mount as well as a 14/20 screw at the top for the head and I think a 5/8 or better socket for the stand itself with a heavy screw knob for securing. They also had a tilt system for angle selection.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Frank, here's what I use and have no complaints with larger umbrellas and Westcott Apollo Softboxes:

I use Bogen 3363 stands, no longer available (13' Air Cushioned Heavy Duty)
    the closest Manfrotto I can find is this one:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_3_Riser.html

Manfrotto 026 umbrella mount:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...a_Adapter.html

Of course it goes without saying that you want to bag any stand, of course.

erie

I second what lenser suggested. Those little Norman mounts are pretty bombproof .

For stands, the best are made by American Grip equipment in los angeles. Look foe a beefy baby stand with rocky mtn leg. Film industry standard. None of that air cushioned lightweight aluminum business.

I'd agree Vinny, other than Frank said he didn't want a bulky, heavyweight C stand.

I didn't say anything about c stands (which are designed for grip equipment). American makes steel and aluminum 3 riser baby stands which will outlast anything else on the market.

I agree with Vinny, get a triple riser at minimum w/ a rocky mtn leg(adjustable leg for putting it on a slope if needed, so the column stays vertical). And get a sand bag(35lb) to help ballast it, even if you hang a power pack with a rope from the handle to weigh it down.

The Manfrotto ones are ok, but not as nice as the steel Avenger or Matthews ones, IMO. American Grip stuff is great too.

Any good rental house will have these for daily rental, sure beats the space savings unless its being used day in and out.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...aby_Steel.html

-Dan

My 2c:

The stand can be as flimsy or heavy duty as you like - it makes no difference as the umbrella doesnt weigh a ton (I would go with the regular manfrotto 004 stand to save on weight).

BUT I would use a proper Manfrotto/Matthews/Avenger knuckle (grip head) off a c-stand, which in my opinion is the best way to reliably hold something heavy at an angle. Those plastic umbrella mounts just aren't designed for heavy weights and will droop. (I used to use one to hold a little 16" foamcore reflector board and it couldn't even do that properly).

Agree with Dan: you may need a sandbag/counterweight too.
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

I love, love, love my Matthews medium weight kit stands. two or three section

to hold the umbrella itself..you can get a Larson C-clamp deal on ebay