Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar F: How to make fine adjustments to height + focus ?

Sinar F: How to make fine adjustments to height + focus ?

I have a Sinar P, where both front and rear standards provide geared movements. I also have a Sinar F standard, which I use to support a long bellows when shooting with a 610mm APO Nikkor (you can see the F standard).

Because the F standard is lighter, it occurred to me to make a hybrid, with one F standard and one P standard. I tried it in the field. It's lighter for sure, but I can't figure out how to raise and lower the F standard with any fine control. The same is true for focusing: how can anyone focus a Sinar F ? Are there front and rear standards for the F ? Am I missing something ?

Drew Wiley

Re: Sinar F: How to make fine adjustments to height + focus ?

The front and rear standards are distinct, so that the focus knob for each is always on
    the right side from the operator position behind. Unfotunately, you seem to have the
    "multipurpose" standard which is not particularly strong. The official rear standard for
    an f2 would be a lot more solid. I'd leave the P standard on the front because you have a fairly heavy lens. It's dilemmas like this one which have converted me to the
    older Norma components.

Sorry - I was unclear. I showed the photo of the 610mm to show the standard I have. In this post, I am asking about using one F standard and one P standard - with lenses of normal length.

My F standard doesn't appear to have any focusing knob: only something to lock and unlock. Also, there appears to be no mechanism to raise and lower the standard, other than unlocking it and pulling it up. In short, I don't seem to have any geared movement of any kind, even for focusing.

That's what the universal version is ?

Looking at this Sinar Catalog from 2000/2001, I don't see any F standards per se (page 20).

The modularity of the sustem makes this all work.

You can use an F rear with focus as a front for your hybrid, I believe. I dont see a reason for geared front focus. The front standard moves precisely on the rail with no looseness or grabbyness. Just slide it back and forth until you get good focus. You can do a tiny touch up from rear if you need to do so.

For rise and fall, the control rods that you push up from the bottom have some stiction and are not loosy-goosy. You can leave a little tension on the lock and they move fine without slipping. As easy to use as a P. Ive owned both and still have an F. Tougher to explain than to use in real life

bob

Drew Wiley

All the actual front and rear F standards were equipped with fine focus control. So again, what you have in the picture is neither, but an intermediate intended only for
    bellows support. It can be used, but not ideally. I'd be looking for a suitable F2 standard.

Ken,

I also own a Sinar P and I have a Sinar F laying around here that I bought for the Sinar shutter that came with it.

The F front standard just has a knob on the bottom for rough focus. The F rear standard has the same knob for rough focus and it also has a geared fine focus.

You are right in that there is no geared movement of any kind on the front standard. The Sinar F is no P but is a lot lighter for going out in the field.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    All the actual front and rear F standards were equipped with fine focus control. So again, what you have in the picture is neither, but an intermediate intended only for
    bellows support. It can be used, but not ideally. I'd be looking for a suitable F2 standard.
    Drew, the first release of the camera did not have geared focus on the front standard. The F2 definately does, not sure about the model between, F1 I think.

Anyway geared focus in not necessary.

The photo is of an F model front standard. (used as bellows support)

bob

Thanks fellers - you're right: that standard can be used for focusing if necessary. Sinars are so nicely machined that you can adjust the focus in tiny increments - using firm finger pressure - and it doesn't slip.

To address my main concern, I put a little wax on the rise/fall rods. Now the standard moves up and down nicely.

Drew Wiley

I think you're right, Bob; but it was pre-F1, probably what they called the F+. The clampy thing at the bottom of the standard only slides so-so compared to the full
    enclosure style. No big deal. You just have to be close and then adjust the rear focus.
    But the whole related standard was weaker than the next generation. Should be fine
    except for big telephotos or lenses in heavy 3 shutters.

The P rear with the F front is called the model C. Standard catalog configuration.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.