Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Re: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Tarbert View Post
    Oh come on guys Just admit it your so envious i know i am Regards Gary
    Oh not me. I wouldn't want to drive the Maserati that he drives. And I wouldn't want what looks like at least a 5,000 square foot, three story studio like he has. And how demeaning it would be if people with their heads up their asses such as the Museum of Modern Art liked my work.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Sipress View Post
    ...the art world has it's head up it's ass.
    Why do you limit that observation to the "art world?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Sipress View Post
    I made an image like that once.
    California Dreamin'.

Big dollar print sales and your work being in influential art museums worldwide doesn't necessarily mean you're a pompous a-hole artist... I'd imagine it just means he's been allowed into the "circle" of highly regarded high-dollar art photographers, like Jeff Wall, Thomas Struth, etc... And is now able to print limited edition, BIG dollar prints. I'm glad he's been able to attain such a great level of success. I'd certainly like to be in a financial place such as his. However much I like his work, you still have to put yourself out there, and show your work to the highly-regarded "circles". Very few get accepted, much less have the ability to have such a long "run" of success and fame he has had.

Didn't all 3 of them mentioned above train/study under the Becher's?

-Dan

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Paying such a price for such a thing is performance art in itself, and a telling comment on the decadence of the ultra-wealthy.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

You forgot Oscar... WTFO.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

No, really, my image was like that one, but not 'just' like it. Close enough that if I happened to be lucky enough to have a renowned 'art critic' or gallery owner admire my work enough, convince other like kind to do the same, call in the media, and truck my stuff around the country, my little portfolio would be worth millions. And more when I'm dead. It starts with just one 'respected' critic/gallery getting the ball rolling.

I have nothing against Gursky or any way successful photographer. I have difficulty with modern art marketing. Not just photography marketing either. Four million dollars??!?!?? Let's get real, people. Rich man's disease is out of control.

How many galleries have you walked into and said almost immediately 'How did this guy get this show and command those prices? I see more creative and technical prowess on the LF Forum and other online image sites'. Happens all the time. Life's not fair. Art is subjective. Just like me, we are all entitled to our own stupid opinions. Please leave your millions in my mailbox, thank you.

The grapes aren't usually so sour in California

Brian, I found that video was helpful. I have not seen Gursky, that is conscienously seen his work before.

To other posters: I did find things that I liked about some of the imagery. It is a huge amount of money to have one piece command. I don't care for that specific piece. In general the comments related to the ridiculously high value of some art is founded and yet- no one in honesty would turn down that money if the money was unconditionally- or the conditions were acceptable and handed to "Them". Yet if you have that money and are willing to spend it upon something you value its not someone elses place to tell you how to spend it in my opinion, unless the seller choses not to sell. That is how it is, in a free market economy and more realistically in all the worlds workings. Could the money do many others things, yes, and some of them might have been more positive social statements.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Bravo Foxtrot Delta

Papa Oscar Sierra