Thread: Howtek 4500 Help

Howtek 4500 Help

Hello, I was recently given a Howtek 4500 scanner, complete with drum, mounting fluids, tape, etc. It's been in storage for probably 4 to 5 years and I'm trying to get it running again. Unfortunately I'm having a few problems...

So far I've successfully setup a PC complete with SilverFast and Trident to command the scanner. But when I hit pre-scan, the scanner will spin up, turn on the reflective or transmissive light (which ever I choose), read the drum for a couple of seconds, then stop with the scanner display saying "Check Lumen". After awhile of sitting like that, the drum will then return to it's rest position with the display stating "Error F702". So far, I've replaced the lights, the drive belt, and completely dissembled and reassembled the motherboard. But it still gives "Error F702".

Does anyone have ideas? I would love to have this machine scan all my 4x5's!

I also saw in a previous thread that the service manual is floating around. If someone could send me a copy, I would be very grateful.

Re: Howtek 4500 Help

try calling Aztek, they service Howtek scanners, and are very knowledgeable on their workings and error codes

AZTEK, Inc.

13765-F Alton Parkway

Irvine, CA 92618

Phone: (949)770-8787 Toll Free: 1-800-GRAPH-55 Fax: (949)770-4986 www.aztek.com mail@aztek.com

-Dan

Thanks for the info. I've just sent them an email, so here's hoping for some progress!

A 702 is a "Collection WDT". Whatever that means. A quick search of the Yahoo Group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ScanHi-End/

for F702 yields a response from Evan@Aztec:

The error you are getting deals specifically with drum rotation speed/inconsistency. Certainly if the tailstock bearing was bad or putting excess drag on the motor it could create a situation where it would cause an error. Inspect the assembly for signs of damage or wear, this is a good place to start.

There was also a thread that indicated this could be an encoder problem. So either way it sounds like the drum spin up is having a problem.

You can find the requested manual in the file area of the aforementioned group.

Happy Scanning,

Tim