Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Focus Buyers Beware.....

Soft Focus Buyers Beware.....

Okay, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

This is now the second time in a short while that a Verito has shown up with only one length of barrel and no shutter.

CAUTION:

You can buy a Verito, rob the Studio Shutter out of it to part out and sell later, then put the back glass at the end of the front barrel and put the remains on Ebay for some poor unsuspecting buyer.

A Wollensak Verito will ALWAYS have a front barrel, a shutter or aperture, and a rear barrel behind the shutter~aperture and then the rear group.

The factory threading is such that this is easily done. Not throwing stones at any seller, just trying to educate. When I get home on Thurs nite I'll grab one of my Verito's and do some pictures illustrating what I fear is going on.

Re: Soft Focus Buyers Beware.....

This guys not too bright. He's selling the rear barrel and shutter on the same day in a different auction!

Well, he seems to be merely clueless, not dishonest. I hope.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I always give folks the benefit of the doubt too, but.........buyers beware. We may start seeing this.

Looks like, based on reflections in the glass, one auction is the front half of a verito, the other auction is the shutter and rear tube, and the rear group is gone missing. Basically a parts auction.

Quote Originally Posted by TAG View Post
    Someday all that will be left for "real photographers" are bits and pieces like this because the lens gluttons of the world will have all the complete working lenses hidden away so they can get all gushy when they fondle them.
    Not so. As we die off our grieving widows will sell our treasures for pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by TAG View Post
    Someday all that will be left for "real photographers" are bits and pieces like this because the lens gluttons of the world will have all the complete working lenses hidden away so they can get all gushy when they fondle them.
    Take it easy Francis.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

i was noticing on the bay this morning a couple of ads that the seller had no clue as to what they were selling, for example one ad was for a "4x5 plate holder" it is clear from the picture it is a contact print frame. another was a large format camera sold with 3 "film plates" 2 of the "film plates" as they were called looked to be 8x10 and the other one was 5x7. there was no 5x7 back for the camera, but then again the camera may have been a 5x7 and you get 2 8x10 holders with it. this is why when i buy any LF gear i would rather buy off the forum
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Not so. As we die off our grieving widows will sell our treasures for pennies.
    Dan,

Let's hope not!

I'm making a catalog of all my lenses, filters, cameras tripods etc, with the price paid, so if anything happens to me, my family has some clue as to what's there and its value.

That's why I don't mind paying a good price when getting a lens from a family that lost someone.

Asher

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    He/she/it encourages potential bidders to check out their other auctions. To quote, "*PLEASE SEE MY OTHER ITEMS AS SOME ITEMS MAY GO TOGETHER AND, AS SUCH, YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN PURCHASING BOTH"
    In my opinion, it seems like they are aware of this and may just be splitting it in hopes of catering to the "I've got a damaged front/rear element" crowd. Again, just a possibility. I cannot confirm.