Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PyroCat HD and TMY - my times seem off?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

PyroCat HD and TMY - my times seem off?

According to the Massive, the developing time for TMY (at 200 ISO) sheet film at 70 DEG should be 11 min. I found those negs to be a bit weak and like the result at around 18 to 19 min. Is it me, my water, or has anyone else experienced similar?

I'm not a sensitometrist so I'm basically just looking at the negs and how they initially print and just like the longer time better.

Seems to be a nice combination BTW, anyone else like this?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: PyroCat HD and TMY - my times seem off?

Seems very long to me. You didn't mention dilution - nor did you mention temperature.

I rate TMY-2 at 250EI and develop in Pyrocat HD for 18 min @72º agitating every 3 minutes.

I agree that it is a very nice combination indeed.

I wouldn't worry about what times other people are using. As you know it's the results that count...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Richard,

It seems very long to me too, but I've seen a lot of people reporting similar times, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Seems very long to me. You didn't mention dilution - nor did you mention temperature.
    I mentioned temperature but not the 1:1:100 dilution...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

I have found the Pyrocat negatives just look a little thin but print beautifully.

I'm using 1-1-100 at 14 minutes ( 70 deg.) and the negatives are very nice. While I rate the film at 400, i look (and meter) a little deeper into the shadows, so I'm likely rating the film 1/3 to 1/2 slower than rating.

Jobo processing (continuous), btw.

bob
    Last edited by Bob McCarthy; 7-Nov-2011 at 10:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I rate TMY-2 at 250EI and develop in Pyrocat HD for 18 min @72º agitating every 3 minutes.

I agree that it is a very nice combination indeed.

I wouldn't worry about what times other people are using. As you know it's the results that count...
    Totally agree on all 3 points, Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    I mentioned temperature but not the 1:1:100 dilution...
    Oops - You are right. I missed that. Sorry.

There are many variables, like thermometer, water, agitation. Are you scanning or printing ? If analog printing, the color of the stain may affect your results, depending on the brand of paper, the color of the light source, etc. Also, if your film has residual magenta color, that will affect things. The magenta color can be removed with Sodium Sulfite (1 teaspoon per liter) after fixing. I found that TMY really needs that treatment with that developer.

This has been my experience as well. I now process TMY-2 with Pyrocat HD at 1.5:1.5:100 for 13min at 24degC. My first attempt was much the same as Richards and I then tried 2:2:100 at 10 min and it was too hot(over-development).

Is the general consensus that the new emulsion needs different development times?

I also routinely use a 5min pre-wash. Could this be raising my times with pyrocat?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ley View Post
    This has been my experience as well. I now process TMY-2 with Pyrocat HD at 1.5:1.5:100 for 13min at 24degC. My first attempt was much the same as Richards and I then tried 2:2:100 at 10 min and it was too hot(over-development).

Is the general consensus that the new emulsion needs different development times?

I also routinely use a 5min pre-wash. Could this be raising my times with pyrocat?

I use a pre-wash also, and I forgot to mention that I dilute 1:1:100.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/