Thread: Silverfast: is it worth upgrading?

Silverfast: is it worth upgrading?

I'm scanning some color negative, which I've always had a bit of trouble with color and exposure wise. I just tried the trial of Silverfast that came with my Epson 4870 and it's more interesting than the last time I tried it. This is Silverfast SE 6.4. That said it's also super clunky and the workflow is a little bizzarre.

It appears I can get a discount on an upgrade to Silverfast 8. SE 8 would be really cheap, SE 8 + would be doable and AI studio 8 would still be expensive.

So is version 8 better than the copy that came boxed with my scanner in terms of usability? I've been using Epson Scan so far. I don't mind putting a little money into this...as I spend quite a bit of time scanning.

Thanks
    Paul

Re: Silverfast: is it worth upgrading?

I wouldn't upgrade to 8 unless you've upgraded your computer's OS and must do so. The functions are basically the same as earlier versions, but the user interface is new and all the controls have been relocated for your inconvenience. (It takes some hunting to find them.) Silverfast seems to have dropped the Ai version. SE lacks some of the controls of Ai. Ai Studio has all of Ai plus some HDR functions. Is it worth the money? Only if you need to spend it to stay current with your OS. Ai Studio is about twice the cost of past upgrades. Silverfast was due for an interface upgrade, but I can't say the new one is a whole lot better. Snazzier, yes, but not a lot more convenient.

Peter Gomena

I feel like with the version I have, I make one adjustment in one screen (like a histogram adjustment) and then it messes with the color balance, so I go to the white balance screen, and adjust that, and then it resets my histogram. Is that kind of thing different in the new version?

I tried Vuescan last night which seems even slightly more lame. I'm not sure why between EpsonScan, Vuescan and Silverfast, one of them couldn't be useable but they all are super annoying.

After doing it, I would say definitely not! This "upgrade" has clearly been rushed out and leaves a lot to be desired. They haven't even produced a user manual for the new version yet and the Silverfast "Support" Forum is useless. It is proactively moderated so any negative posting is filtered out and even normal stuff takes several days to appear. the answers given by the Silverfast "experts" are vague and at times obviously evasive. they promise an "update" to solve the many problems people are encountering but no indication of when that will be. I would avoid it for the moment.

Resounding NO!!!

I just wasted a few $$$ to upgrade from 6.6SE (which i did not use) to 8SE (which I will likely not use) based on some review (I know do not trust the nerds only the users) stating that the interface was finely logic and useable. No luck still unintuitive.
    As pointed out the manual does not exist but it is suggested that you buy an additional book.
    Back to my trusted Vuescan.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Quote Originally Posted by lbenac View Post
    Resounding NO!!!

Cheers,

Luc
    Yeah but that seems to suck too. Boo hoo.

Ok, the chorus has sung, but I'll be the voice for it. I upgraded because I did upgrade to OS-X 10.7.2 since SF 6.6 was not forward compatible and SF 8 is backward compatible. I agree it's not intuitive or easy and requires a some time learning the workflow and tools, but it's also better with each scanner, faster and giving full scan to edit and then create output files. And you can now "hide" the app to return to work later than keeping it open or quiting. I'll agree it's expensive and up to each user to get what they want and pay for.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

I made some more digging...
    One of the issue, is that most of the features are removed between all four versions of the software, so you are looking around to make something work without realizing that it is not there on the version. This goes from the ability to output 16 bit processed images (you can still output a "raw" scan in 16 bit but that is not explained anywhere) to the ability to save your set-up and use it on multiple images.
    It is a little bit like going to the restaurant and looking for a fork but you have to order it and pay extra, when you have the fork, you are asking for salt and pepper but these require you to move to the VIP lounge...
    It looks like the same feature that I have in Vuescan for $90 on all my scanner, would require $500 for each scanner on Silverfast.
    It looks like the upgrade from the Silverfast 6.6 that came with my Epson V700 to version 8 will be the first and last $ that I will ever give that company.
    As I am limited to scan 16bit HDR (raw scan) if I want a 16 bit output, it does not make it more convenient and initial testing on a few neg does no show any benefit over VS.

Cheers,

Luc

Quote Originally Posted by lbenac View Post
    Resounding NO!!!

I just wasted a few $$$ to upgrade from 6.6SE (which i did not use) to 8SE (which I will likely not use) based on some review (I know do not trust the nerds only the users) stating that the interface was finely logic and useable. No luck still unintuitive.
    As pointed out the manual does not exist but it is suggested that you buy an additional book.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

I have liked having Ai 6.6.2r4a (now that's a version number!) but it has the weirdest work flow of any piece of software I have ever used. It has taken me a year to figure out what most of the above posters have discovered.

Having said that, it produces very good scans on my Epson 750. I'm just not sure I'd like a peek inside the mind of the developer of Ai 6.6.2r4a - or 8 for that matter.