Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optimise my laptop for 4x5 scanning (epsonscan/vuescan) and CS5 editing

Re: Optimise my laptop for 4x5 scanning (epsonscan/vuescan) and CS5 editing

Quote Originally Posted by l2oBiN View Post
    Thank you for your suggestions thus far. I believe the maximum ram for my version of MacBook pro is 4gb. Also, will the fw800 drive help a lot? Isnt it still quite slow? I was once looking into getting a pcmi card slot thing to connect esata drive to the computer. Anyone know about this? I am wondering whether buying a new laptop altogether would be better?
    See, http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ryn-specs.html

From what I understand Apple only supported 4 gb of RAM but third parties support 6 gb in a 2+4 configuration.

But if you can buy a brand new Macbook Pro and max it out with RAM it will certainly be much faster than your 4,1 unit.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I have the same machine. I just recently replaced the second 2 GB ram chip with a 4 GB chip. The computer recognizes 6 GB just fine. I have noticed a slight increase in speed with CS5 as well.

I replaced the HD with a 500 GB drive as well. A nice upgrade from the 120 gig hard drive it originally came with.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Upgrade your Macbook Pro to 8 gb and give it a fighting chance! Comparing a computer with 4 gb to one with 8 gb is apple to oranges, all else equal.

Sandy
    Holy cow! I thought it was already maxed out with 4gb. Some sites say this will take 16GBs! Is that true? This is new territory for me with a newer MBP the last one I had only took 3gb.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Holy cow! I thought it was already maxed out with 4gb. Some sites say this will take 16GBs! Is that true? This is new territory for me with a newer MBP the last one I had only took 3gb.
    Check this site for complete specifications for your model. http://www.everymac.com/

Most 2011 MacBook Pros will take up to 16 gb of memory. They were often configured with only 4 gb but it seems that most can be easily upgraded to 16 gb.You should get a very significant bump in performance going from 4 gb to 16 gb.

My 2010 Macbook Pro only takes 8 gb, but it runs a lot faster with 8 than with 4.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Those files - 4x5 inches at 2400 ppi at 16-bit RGB are 650mb - are simply too large for efficient Photoshop work on a MacBook Pro, even with 6 or 8gb of RAM and a faster hard drive.

A new laptop would be better but the right tool is a 16gb iMac or better yet, a Mac Pro tower.

In the meantime, why not downsample and work with smaller files? If you can't afford a more powerful workstation then can you afford to be making giant prints from the larger files?

In my own case, I have a similar laptop to yours and I will scan at a high resolution, then downsize to a more moderate 200mb file size. These are much easier and faster to work on, and more than sufficient for nice 16x20 display prints.

If you have a beautiful high-res scan, archive it and come back to edit it in the future, when you have a more powerful computer. Your skills will be better too, hopefully.

In the early 1990s with 68030 processors, a 20mb file would choke the machine for 30 minutes per step! A few years later, 20mb was a standard working size, and it has doubled every few years ever since.... These are glorious times but there are still practical limitations.

Few people, other than fine-art large-format photographers, use such large image files. For example, a large highway billboard, 14 x 44 feet, only requires a 100mb file to print well. Even double-page spreads for magazine ads are only that much... large movie posters might use larger files, but most of them are interpolated.