Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimise my laptop for 4x5 scanning (epsonscan/vuescan) and CS5 editing

Optimise my laptop for 4x5 scanning (epsonscan/vuescan) and CS5 editing

I have a 3year old mac laptop that sometimes seems to take forever to edit images, open large images and in general work with 2400ppi 4x5 scans. I would like to fully optimise this laptop and the operating software for this purpose. Could you please advise me of the necessary steps? below are my hardware details. I am running Lion on it.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Hitachi HTS542525K9SA00:

Capacity: 250.06 GB (250,059,350,016 bytes)
    Model: Hitachi HTS542525K9SA00
    Revision: BBFAC3GP
    Capacity: 249.2 GB (249,199,591,424 bytes)
    Available: 54.55 GB (54,547,599,360 bytes)

Joshua Tree, California

Re: Optimise my laptop for 4x5 scanning (epsonscan/vuescan) and CS5 editing

I'd bump the RAM to 8 gb and put in a bigger hard drive. SSD if you can afford it.

I would go straight to 16GB...
    Also editing 4x5 scans (mostly 2000dpi), and 8GB led to a lot of swapping when you are using multiple layers etc...

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by l2oBiN View Post
    I would like to fully optimise this laptop and the operating software for this purpose. Could you please advise me of the necessary steps? below are my hardware details. I am running Lion on it.
    1. Upgrade your Macbook Pro to the maximum amount of RAM, which is 6 gb for your machine.

2. Clear your hard drive of all unnecessary files.

3. Make sure you are running CS5 in 64 bit. I believe your 4,1 Macbook Pro allows this.

4. Close other applications when using CS5.

Changing out the hard drive to a 128 or 256 SSD drive would speed things up, but that would be a fairly expensive upgrade.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

IME it will still be a bit slow. PS CS5 is a bloated memory hog. Some tools like history brush etc. will choke and run slow. A fast FW 400 or 800 exterior scratch drive will help.

My 64 bit PC core 2 quad with a fast dedicated scratch drive and 8GB ram screams compared to my similar 2011 64 bit MBP (4 gigs but other wise similar to above).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Try making all of your adjustments on smaller copies of your scans and then just copy you adjustment layers over when you're done. It's much faster.

http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/...guidefile.html

As far as system optimization for PS, you can setup a scratch drive and update your RAM. However, if you use the workflow above you may not need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post

My 64 bit PC core 2 quad with a fast dedicated scratch drive and 8GB ram screams compared to my similar 2011 64 bit MBP (4 gigs but other wise similar to above).

Upgrade your Macbook Pro to 8 gb and give it a fighting chance! Comparing a computer with 4 gb to one with 8 gb is apple to oranges, all else equal.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thank you for your suggestions thus far. I believe the maximum ram for my version of MacBook pro is 4gb. Also, will the fw800 drive help a lot? Isnt it still quite slow? I was once looking into getting a pcmi card slot thing to connect esata drive to the computer. Anyone know about this? I am wondering whether buying a new laptop altogether would be better?

I use an Express card Firewire adapter on my netbook to get connectivity to some audio devices, I assume you can get the same on your computer for eSata, or maybe even USB3 now. Any of the faster connections coupled with a fast hard drive will work great. PCI/Express cards have a lot of speed, compared to USB/FW.

I'm not sure what others are doing but my quad core with 4gb of RAM works just fine for editing huge scans. It slows down a little if I don't give it time between several processes, but that's it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by l2oBiN View Post
    Thank you for your suggestions thus far. I believe the maximum ram for my version of MacBook pro is 4gb. Also, will the fw800 drive help a lot? Isnt it still quite slow? I was once looking into getting a pcmi card slot thing to connect esata drive to the computer. Anyone know about this? I am wondering whether buying a new laptop altogether would be better?
    - A FW800 scratch drive will help a little, not a lot. A eSATA drive would be a more dramatic improvement, however you'll void your Apple warranty adding it.

- I'm working on 800 MB + scans on a Mac Book w/ 4GB just fine. My scratch disk is setup on my internal drive and I'm using two externals setup in a Raid1 config to store image files.

- If you want to speed up your existing system without voiding your warranty try using an external disk to store your files, then partition your internal HD to create a drive just for PS to use.

- Beyond this, the new Macs have Thunderbolt. While there's not a lot of peripherals available using it yet, it's fast enough to give external drives internal read/write speed. Buy one of the new Mac Book Pros with an SSD internal drive then add on external drives for scratch and for saving files.