Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding the Aero Ektar to the Speed Graphic

Adding the Aero Ektar to the Speed Graphic

I've got the bug to find an Aero Ektar and add it to a Speed Graphic. I have a Crown Graphic, which I love, but wanted something with a longer lens.

Based on everything I've read, I guess the Speed Graphic is the way to go, rather than a Crown Graphic.

Is there a particular version of Speed Graphic I should look for? I know there were differences over time, but I'm not an expert.

Re: Adding the Aero Ektar to the Speed Graphic

An Anniversary model, made from 1940 to 1946, should do well. The Pacemaker series Speed Graphic, made from 1947 to 1973, have a few improvements. Prior to the late 1950s they used a side-mounted rangefinder like the Anniversary model that can be adjusted to accomodate the Aero Ektar. From the late 1950s they incorporated a built-in top-mounted rangefinder that requires a cam to match the rangefinder to the focal length of the lens. This may be more difficult than adjusting the earlier side-mounted rangefinders. If it is just a longer lens you want, there are plenty available that are easier to adapt to a Speed Graphic or Crown than the Aero Ektar. Unlike the Aero Ektar, most will permit the front of the camera to close with the lens mounted. A search for Aero Ektar on this site or on google should lead to much more information.

Thanks for the information. I have both an interest in a longer lens, and in fact, have both 180mm and 240mm Schneider lenses, but also found myself really enamored of the look created by the Aero Ektar.

I started this process thinking about a longer lens option on my spare Crown Graphic with top RF, but the lack of a matched cam changed my mind. So, when I started researching the side RF, that lead me to the Aero Ektar, and...well, there you have it.

I have two, one in Nikon mount and the other for view cameras, I like them and have used them for at least 35 years.

Lynn

Anniversary has a bigger FP shutter speed range, Pacemaker better RF.
    I prefer the Pacemaker with my Aero.
    You can get a properly set up lens board for either at http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/aero/
    lots more Graphic + Aero stuff here too.
    Tell Jo I sent you!
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

I have the Aero-Ektar mounted on my Pacemaker SG. I tried other methods, but finally bought the Jo Lommen lensboard. It works, I don't have to worry about the whole thing falling off the camera.

Michael Cienfuegos

I don't remember what the Lommen board costs, but for $75 a local machinist made a retaining ring and cut a board to size for me. I sanded down the edges of the front standard and got the AE mounted easily enough.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Yep, I found that site, great info.

So, you are using the Pacemaker, FP shutter, and side rangefinder? Do you use the rangefinder to focus?

Quote Originally Posted by anglophone1 View Post
    Anniversary has a bigger FP shutter speed range, Pacemaker better RF.
    I prefer the Pacemaker with my Aero.
    You can get a properly set up lens board for either at http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/aero/
    lots more Graphic + Aero stuff here too.
    Tell Jo I sent you!

Out of curiousity, has anyone used this combo handheld? I get that it's heavy, but, how heavy? I'm used to using my Crown handheld and getting good, sharp photos down to about 1/60th shutter.

I have but I get better photos with a monopod.

I really don't like the shutter trigger on the Speed - no matter how hard I try to press it lightly it jerks the camera a little when I release it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome