Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon 150mm for full length portrait?

Fujinon 150mm for full length portrait?

I'm not very experienced at shooting people with large format and I have some admittedly basic questions. First, I've heard that shooting at a shorter focal length can distort a persons figure. I only have two lenses, a symmar 180 macro and a Fujinon 150mm lens. I really don't want to plunk down the money for a new lens if I don't have to. Can I just use the 150mm or should I buy something else? I'm doing full length, so no close up or anything. If I do buy something else, any suggestions? I don't want a soft lens because I want every detail and skin imperfection (verism style). Thanks so much! Oh, and I'm using strobes so the aperture doesn't have to be very open.
    Last edited by carlosmh1910; 20-Oct-2011 at 15:12. Reason: Forgot something

Re: Fujinon 150mm for full length portrait?

Should work fine for full body, for head shoots only, you can use the 180 Macro, still on the short side but should also work!

Cheers Armin

A 150mm is fine for "normal" full-length or environmental portraiture.

If you do move in closer, simply keep their noses and protuberances near the center of the frame. Hands or ears near the edges tend to show distortion, hair and shadows much less so.

I have shot a couple of full length portraits lately with a 150mm lens and they turned out nicely.

They're not going to be very environmental, the models will take up much of the frame. Is that going to be problematic for distortion?

You may want to use the 180 then.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosmh1910 View Post
    They're not going to be very environmental, the models will take up much of the frame. Is that going to be problematic for distortion?
    Given that you already have a camera and the lens, why don't you just make some photos and see what you think of them. For that matter, why not use both lenses and compare?

Personally, I think that it is beyond serious question that you can make great full body 4x5 portraits with a 150mm lens.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

I''m assuming that you are shooting 4x5. If so then a 150mm would be a great choice. Your 180mm should also work equally well. When you shoot a full length shot you only need to worry about distortion when using a wide angle lens. Wide angle lenses are commonly used for full length shots to create drama which of course includes distortion.

I would suggest using a longer lens for three quarter length shots and head shots. Something like a 240mm to 300mm to avoid distortion in the face.

In fact a 210mm lens works great for full length and 3/2 length shots and is quite a bit cheaper than a 240mm or 300mm lens! I do prefer a 240mm to 300mm for head and shoulder shots and of course head shots.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Given that you already have a camera and the lens, why don't you just make some photos and see what you think of them. For that matter, why not use both lenses and compare?

Personally, I think that it is beyond serious question that you can make great full body 4x5 portraits with a 150mm lens.
    r.e

Personally, I don't think it is your place to judge what is or is not a serious question; I don't have experience in large format, which is why I'm here. So yes, it is a serious question. Also, there are many people involved (and lots of resources) who are giving their time for this shoot so I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks everyone else who helped instead of criticized!