Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over size flat files?

Re: Over size flat files?

I'm getting ready to make a couple for myself, but not 52". Drawer bottoms that wide made out of plywood will have to be carefully constructed or they are sure to sag over time.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll see if any architecture firms are selling theirs on craigslist.

I got a couple flat file drawers from a local surveying company. The are moving to digital storage and wanted to free up the space. They are pretty well used up though, so I'll probably build new ones on the same design or have a cabinet maker build some.

Drew Wiley

Chris - that's certainly correct. You'll need to plan for extra net depth between drawers to allow room for stretcher bars to prevent sagging when loaded. Another
    problem which you are also probably already aware of is to order the full-extension
    slides according to weight specs at full extension, rather than spec only at a common-denominator extension for the series, which is typically only 18". I'd allow a minimum
    of 100 lb rating, because lighter than that you get a lot of wobble even if the weight
    per se is supported.

Drew Wiley

I've made my own once they get that big, but not everyone has the right kind of shop. Once a cabinet shop made me a wonderful one in trade for a 20x24 print they
    were coveting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    Does anyone know of flat file storage cabinets that can hold 36 x 52" prints and doesn't cost $8000? I've done a little research and they seem to jump from $2500 for a 53" outer dimension unit to $8600 for the next size up which is 74".

I'd prefer metal as they don't out gas. But I am guessing it would be cheaper to have custom files made.....
    Look for an old drawing office plan chest. In perfect condition they go for about £300 in the UK.

RR

Drew Wiley

You have to be careful how cabinets are finished. Plywood or mfg composite wood products outgas things like formaldehyde, have wood acids etc. So they need to be
    properly sealed and lined before any potential use around photographs. If metal, they need to be finished with inert BAKED enamel for the same reason. Around here,
    architectural salvage outfits often sell used flat files, but the condition and cleanliness of them varies widely. One outfit even specializes in them.

Virtually any college has a surplus outlet. I picked up a 28" x 48" flat file with 32 drawers in it for $40.00. Then it cost me that much again to rent a truck to haul it off. But it was worth it.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Architecture and engineering firms are surplussing flat files with the advent of computer drafting. I picked up (2) 50"x 40" 5 drawer sections that were being surplussed and a 40"x30" 5 drawer one from another source. A 52" wide drawer is quite large. Planning firms and Landscape firms tend to work on larger drawings and would also be a good source. Many of these firms went under or downsized during the market collapse and bank frauds of the 2008-9-10 period.