Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Every Camera has a SOUL (?)

Every Camera has a SOUL (?)

Good Day Everyone,

We have noticed that one of our recent Camera Auctions on Ebay have been discussed in this forum.
    We'd like to take up the opportunity today to discuss one of our main concerns in contemporary Camera Construction.

We have a strong belief at the Honour & Crab Workshop: EVERY CAMERA HAS A SOUL.
    Im sure most of you would agree on this.
    Some cameras become dear over the years, they are like pets or partners, sharing lifetime and experiences.
    The same goes for Photography. We dont see it as a simple outcome of a physical / mechanical / chemical process, its much more a representation of what we see, what we are, how we feel and beyond.

We decided to take this thought one level further and are currently experimenting with a more metaphysical approach.
    Therefore I'd like to post the most recent experiment from our workshop, the Tortoise Cam.

As you can see the Body of the Camera was crafted with a real body, the remains of our dear neighbours tortoise that recently deceased and was kindly donated to us by its caretaker.
    The tortoise shell was carried around by a living and seeing creature for many years. If transformed into a Camera, we hope it merges memory, or soul, and a newly acquired function. Apart from the technical characteristics, we are aiming at unpredictable and new results in the photographic output.

Has anyone of you made similair experiences or has a special bond to his / her camera, that goes beyond the notions of material possession?

We'd be more than happy to get this discussion started and share thoughts.
    This might sound a little strange, but we are looking forward to a serious discussion.

All the best,
    Honour & Crab

funkadelic

Re: Every Camera has a SOUL (?)

I've been known to roll in the dirt and hug a tree from time to time. I get the whole thing with the turtle. Call it art if you like. It's all open to interpretation. At least your tortoise cam has a crude (functional?) film back. I could see this possibly working.
    For the life of me, I can't figure out the logic in the bamboo, laptop and duct taped lens in the other auction. Most folks expect something functional when bidding on a "camera" from that section of auction items on Ebay.
    I would recommend you to look for the section of holistic items if you're selling zen enlightenment.

Best of luck,
    Chris

Go for the skull-cam next, that will really get attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Go for the skull-cam next, that will really get attention.
    With the eye sockets each housing a lens for stereo photography.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

Foamer

Needs a Petzval lens, otherwise you can't focus it.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Tortoise shell? perfect place for a slow lens.

Andi Heuser

Quote Originally Posted by Honour & Crab View Post
    Good Day Everyone,

We have noticed that one of our recent Camera Auctions on Ebay have been discussed in this forum.
    We'd like to take up the opportunity today to discuss one of our main concerns in contemporary Camera Construction.

We have a strong belief at the Honour & Crab Workshop: EVERY CAMERA HAS A SOUL.
    Im sure most of you would agree on this.
    Some cameras become dear over the years, they are like pets or partners, sharing lifetime and experiences.
    The same goes for Photography. We dont see it as a simple outcome of a physical / mechanical / chemical process, its much more a representation of what we see, what we are, how we feel and beyond.

We decided to take this thought one level further and are currently experimenting with a more metaphysical approach.
    Therefore I'd like to post the most recent experiment from our workshop, the Tortoise Cam.
    [IMG]...[/IMG]

As you can see the Body of the Camera was crafted with a real body, the remains of our dear neighbours tortoise that recently deceased and was kindly donated to us by its caretaker.
    The tortoise shell was carried around by a living and seeing creature for many years. If transformed into a Camera, we hope it merges memory, or soul, and a newly acquired function. Apart from the technical characteristics, we are aiming at unpredictable and new results in the photographic output.

Has anyone of you made similair experiences or has a special bond to his / her camera, that goes beyond the notions of material possession?

We'd be more than happy to get this discussion started and share thoughts.
    This might sound a little strange, but we are looking forward to a serious discussion.

All the best,
    Honour & Crab
    Hi,

what do you mean with soul?

The term is used by some people to describe the inner being of a human
    (sometimes also animals or plants, or even the earth 'the earth soul' ) ,
    they give the soul a metaphysical or spiritual meaning - the soul is something different from the material world, a (very little) part of a higher being that is in the centre of a human.

Others describe the soul as emotional center of humans or animals, plants.
    Last edited by sanchi heuser; 14-Oct-2011 at 07:19. Reason: typo

I tried to make a pinhole frozen turkey once. I think the turtle cam rocks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Who would shell out good money for such a hare brained idea?

The tortoise apparently "shelled out" for it...

Cheers, Steve