Thread: The ICON in Los Angeles

The ICON in Los Angeles

FWIW, several employees at "The ICON" in Los Angeles have expressed fear that their great service may have to close down. They said that the widespread conversion to digital has simply decimated their client base. So PLEASE - all of those who might live in the area - help support The ICON and the continued use of film in all its glorious forms.
    Thanks!

Re: The ICON in Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by J Maxwell View Post
    FWIW, several employees at "The ICON" in Los Angeles have expressed fear that their great service may have to close down. They said that the widespread conversion to digital has simply decimated their client base. So PLEASE - all of those who might live in the area - help support The ICON and the continued use of film in all its glorious forms.
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the notice!

This is very sad and We should do what we can. I agree, we need to support them. It's also our self interest.

Asher

I was talking to one of the front-desk guys a few months back, and he said something along the lines of "trimming down" or "batch processing" rather than keeping the machines on all day, so just "ganging up" orders. To me(and most people I know), this wouldn't be a problem 99% of the time, and can wait a few days. As long as the quality stays the same, I'm patient enough to make a drive back down(just NOT in rush hour ). I just perused over their website, and it looks like they've branched into book-making and all that other "chitzy"(IMO) stuff. Stuff that takes expensive machines, and trained workers to operate smoothly and correctly. But if they aren't getting enough work to become profitable, then they SHOULD "trim down" their offerings. Kinda like the Kodak situation, too many products, rather than focusing on a few core, solid products. If they were to open up to mail-order processing, and offer it at 2/3 their online-stated price, I bet they'd get more business. Lots of labs use Fuji chems these days, and those that use Kodak chems(especially with Kodak film being souped in it), that combo just works better IMO.

I'm going to call them tomorrow, I'm no business expert, but I don't like to see "pro labs" fail(much like my former, recently found lab, "The Darkroom" in Northridge,CA). Digital has literally killed labs. Unfortunate, but true.

-Dan

If not for the encouragement of a friend at ICON LA, I might not have crystallized the idea to get into LF.

Or maybe I wasn't listening and he tried to talk me out of it.

I took 38 sheets to them last week since I'm nowhere near my darkroom. Nice guys. I used A And I in the past but never felt welcome there. Almost like they could care less if they had my business or not. That and the fact that they cross processed a friend's box of film on accident since I used them last.

I love "The Icon" and take all of my film there. I'm only a hobbyist, though.

But, I hope someone from The Icon is reading this: There is NO way to know what they do from looking at the building. Also, the name doesn't say: "We process and scan film..." Terrible marketing...

I'm trying to give you some free business advise...

First I've ever heard of them. Perhaps, they could do a little more marketing / advertising?

Thanks for the tip. Will definitely check them out. Have been looking for a good lab ever since my local guy closed shop over a year ago.