Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Type 55 8x10

Type 55 8x10

There was some talk about 8x10 P/N being tested on the other LF forum. I was wondering if anyone has heard any more about this? I would absolutely love to see this product come to market. Maybe we can start a letter writing campaign. With two little kids, anything that can cut down the time spent processing film will increase my limited time for making prints. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd benefit.

Great to be back,

Type 55 8x10

Hi Jeff, The feasibility test was done, and it came out great. The cost analysis showed that it was high enough, not to persue this further.

I'm disapointed as well.

Bill Jefferson Sr. Eval. Tech. Polaroid Corp.

Type 55 8x10

Bill - while somewhat OT, I must say I'm impressed, and pleased, that Polaroid is monitoring this forum. Obviously, many of us use your LF products, so it's encouraging to see that the company cares about this market segment, unlike the impression left by some other large photo firms.

Type 55 8x10

Please excuse this interuption from a professional lurker ;-)

But, I just had to add my comment about this. I shoot Type 55 almost exclusively in 4x5 and love it. I would do almost anything for a Type "855" for my 8x10. Not that votes count on this subject...

But I understand cost problems. I also shoot 8x10 polaroids, but more as a luxury or 'conversation piece', or plain curiosity. It's just too expensive at more than 8.50 per shot. Yes, I understand it's 4 times the square inches of 4x5, but still money is money and 8.50 a shot is too much. I would buy a Type 855 but probably only once to see it. So what I would love even more would be for these prices to come down. Surley less expensive packaging could be accomplished and whatever else it would take... Just another comment...

back to lurking ;-0

Type 55 8x10

Rich - shooting a sheet of 8x10 colour costs you in the region of say $10.00 - $12.00 for film and processing (and then you have to print it one way or another).

So the relative cost of polaroid colour materials isn't that great surely?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Type 55 8x10

Rich,

I agree with Tim. I would gladly pay $8.50 for a print and a negative (I'm aware that most folks expose differently for print and neg, I've found I can get reasonable negs with only slightly light prints using 665, this may not translate to 4x5 or 8x10).

I would also like to thank Bill for his reply. And please, keep bringing it up in meetings, I think many of us are interested.

Type 55 8x10

I would suppose you're right about the cost of 8x10 color, but I wouldn't know? I only shoot B&W in 4x5 and 8x10. Although I have purchased 4x5 color Polaroid, and still don't like it (used to shoot Polaroids 30 years ago). No real offense or criticism meant. I've just never liked what I get out of color Polaroids...

Now, if we could get a Type 855 that would produce a print AND negative with the same exposure, I wouldn't mind the cost at all! I do sometimes shoot Type 55 for both as a lighter negative scans better. But if I want a better negative, I sacrifice the print. Save it something like a contact for later reference though.

I'll hold onto my hopes of Type 855, still shoot Type 55, and probably always have a box of 804 on hand...

Type 55 8x10

One way to bring the cost down would be to spend very little on paid advertising, using free PR instead. Also the product could be sold in plain brown boxes, with just the Polaroid logo on the box. Any large format photographer would know the product! No cost to speak of for packaging. Hey, it could be sold in zip lock bags for all I care. It would be a great product!

Perhaps the product might only be available mail order? Cheaper still!

Type 55 8x10

Folks,

I'd buy and use Polaroid Type 55 in 8x10.

Thanks!

Steve

Type 55 8x10

I am interested to know if this could be a special order item if enough people would show a genuine interest. If the test were great then surely this product must be given a chance to be used by LF photographers all over the world. Or does it cost 100 dollars per sheet or something too ridiculous to mention?