Thread: Scanning Full Frame

Scanning Full Frame

I've brought up this subject before, but I'm still nowhere near a solution.
    Here it is, in greater detail.
    I have an Epson 4990; scanning 8x10 is not a problem.
    Scanning 4x5 is not a problem, but...

I don't want to use the Epson film holders, they cut off too much of the frame.
    I don't want to spend $125+ on a BetterScanning holder.
    I'm leaning toward getting a piece of ANR glass, except I don't see myself taping negatives to the glass; it would take very long, I'd make a mess of it, and I have elephant's feet for fingers.

I've been told that one can use the Epson Fluid Mounting Accessory in addition to ANR glass, but this is expensive, and near-impossible to find as a separate accessory part.
    Then it might not fit a 4990, as it was sold for the V700 and V750.

All I want to do is scan a full-frame 4x5 with the negative correctly adjusted for height above the platen, without forking out too much more money.
    Is it possible to get two pieces of ANR glass, sandwich the neg, adjust the height of the bottom glass, and scan away? Would that work?

Advice needed and appreciated; thanks in advance.

Re: Scanning Full Frame

Thanks, Brent, I did follow that thread, but it still left me without a solution.
    I don't want to do wet scans on the 4990, and the method implied in your thread requires the purchase of a fluid mount accessory, which I can't afford nor find.
    I'm trying to figure this out using only one piece of ANR glass and possibly a second piece of glass, regular or with an anti-reflective coating.

What you need is a special vacuum mount. The film is held at the periphery with a fine O-ring seal that does not project into the exposed area to any degree. The film rests against the backing AN glass and slight vacuum is pulled between the film and AN glass. Emulsion faces out and toward the lens in the scanner at the correct shimmed height. Quick placement and removal for ease of dry scan with perfect planarity.

I wish something like this was available! Maybe I'll get busy and try a design.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Vacuum mount, eh? That's an excellent idea.
    If only I could make one.
    Thanks, Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I’m leaning toward getting a piece of ANR glass, except I don't see myself taping negatives to the glass; it would take very long, I’d make a mess of it, and I have elephant’s feet for fingers.
    If you find some anti-glare glass, taping film may be easier and more effective than you think. (It’s what I do on my 4990, and I even suffer from the same clumsy-finger syndrome as you.)

The photo below is from Doug Fisher’s site to help illustrate.

Note that the film is taped taught on the underside (i.e., the anti-glare side) of the glass. Some people tape emulsion side against the underside; others tape the smoother side against it. The point of course is to avoid putting smooth surface against smooth surface, which can produce Newton rings.

I use more than the 4 pieces of tape you see here. Usually, it’s 10 pieces for 4x5 film. If one tapes the film carefully, and tightly, the film won’t sag. One should apply a bit of artistry in taping the film to the glass; the method can make a difference. It takes just a little practice...

For people simply using a piece of store-bought glass (and not Doug Fisher’s holders), you can use various things to support the glass (and adjust its height) above the scanner’s surface – post-it note pads, pennies, etc. So another key concern is making sure the piece of glass is horizontally flush as possible...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails glass.jpg  

Lachlan 717

Can you get the Epson holder's edges milled to reduce the cut off?

Should be a quick and easy job (you could probably even router it if you made up a jig); you'll just be left wit round corners.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Thanks, Heroique, very helpful.
    Lachlan, I thought of milling or sandpapering the edges of the holder, but I'll try to leave those intact.
    Also, using glass should get the film flatter, and I'd like to see if adjusting the height makes any noticeable difference.
    I think I will try using ANR glass and another piece of glass coated on one side with an AR coating.
    If that doesn't work, I'll go with the flow and tape my negs.
    I'll post here in a few weeks when the glass arrives.

Thanks