Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lightest most compact 4x5 rail view camera

Re: lightest most compact 4x5 rail view camera

For knobs, try the usual suspects: McMaster-Carr and Reid Tool Supply. They have dozens of varieties.

I've owned all four of the superlight 4x5 rail cameras, the Toho (both the FC-45 and FC-45X), Gowland Pocket View, and Galvin. The Gowland was fiddly and I hated the friction drive focusing, so I quickly sold it. The Toho cameras are lighter and more rigid, but idiosyncratic (more so the 45X). Although a bit heavier, I preferred the earlier 45 version with the big rectangular rail. The Galvin may be a tad heavier than the Toho, but it is set up like a "typical" monorail, just lighter. For just a little bit more weight, you get (IMHO) quite a bit more ease of use and quicker setup than the Toho. However they are very rare and hard to find.
    Last edited by John Schneider; 11-Oct-2011 at 09:07. Reason: i cannt spel tooday
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Another vote for the Gowland (I have an early version sold by Calumet, no knobs except focusing). It is a camera one either loves or quickly gets rid of! LOL! Later models weighed more but came with knobs, with backs that could go vertical or horizontal, and more back movements.

About a kilogram with a Caltar II-N 150/5.6 attached. Folds flat nicely, but can be kept on the pod all day. I see it as a monorail field camera, not as a studio camera.

It's not a rail camera but you should look at a Canham DLC45. Very little limitation on movements and field friendly.

Jeff Keller

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Do you have a link/source for the knobs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    It's not a rail camera but you should look at a Canham DLC45. Very little limitation on movements and field friendly.
    In fact, the T-knobs used on the Canham DLC fit the Gowland Pocket View perfectly. I retrofitted my Pocket View with T-knobs from Canham in place of the hex screws. Made it MUCH eaiser to use and added somewhere around 1/4 - 1/2 ounce of weight.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Tk45s
    No!

The OP is looking for something lightweight and reasonably priced. The TK45S is a great camera, but it's the heaviest, most expensive 4x5 camera I have ever used.

Kerry

When we consider the overall weight (and size) of a kit, we should keep things in perspective. A few pounds one way or the other for the camera, will represent only a fraction of the overall weight. Size is a similar consideration. Given that the camera is the most important tool of all, it may make sense to economize elsewhere.

For example, the last time I weighed my 4x5 travel kit, I found that 3 film holders weigh around 1 pound. A bunch of them can easily out-weigh many lightweight field cameras.

We can also save weight by carrying a lighter dark cloth, fewer filters, and fewer (and lighter) lenses.

Unless we plan to enlarge a lot, we can crop our images a bit and mimic the effect of longer lenses. Granted, it's not the same as experience as composing the final image on the ground glass, but it can save a lot of weight. For example, a 150mm and 300mm lens can serve as a 150/225/300/450/600 quite effectively, if we limit our print size.

Another way to save weight is by not using a "photo" backpack, if a simple gym bag will do. It has the additional advantage of giving the impression, while sitting unattended, of nothing more valuable than a collection of dirty laundry. It's likely that one could safely leave such a bag of equipment in the back seat of a car - with some old running shoes next to it, and a pair of socks - and run a very low risk of break-in. If the socks look soiled, then it will probably deter a thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    In fact, the T-knobs used on the Canham DLC fit the Gowland Pocket View perfectly. I retrofitted my Pocket View with T-knobs from Canham in place of the hex screws. Made it MUCH eaiser to use and added somewhere around 1/4 - 1/2 ounce of weight.

Kerry
    Kerry,

that is an interesting option! I can see that these knobs allow you to apply more force when tightening the standards and rails. were could one buy these knobs (on line) ?

Thanks,

best,

Cor

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Kerry,

that is an interesting option! I can see that these knobs allow you to apply more force when tightening the standards and rails. were could one buy these knobs (on line) ?
    The only place I know to buy them is directly from Keith Canham. His phone number is: 480-250-3990.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    When we consider the overall weight (and size) of a kit, we should keep things in perspective. A few pounds one way or the other for the camera, will represent only a fraction of the overall weight. Size is a similar consideration. Given that the camera is the most important tool of all, it may make sense to economize elsewhere.
    This is true. However, if you start with a smaller, lighter camera, the weight savings snowballs from there. For example, with a 2 - 3 lb. camera (like the Gowland or Toho) instead of a 6 - 7 lb. camera, you can use a lighter, more compact tripod and ballhead.

For example, when I was shooting with a Linhof Technikardan TK45S, the absolute minimum support system I would use was the Gitzo 1325 (4.5 lb.) with an ARCA-SWISS B1 ballhead (1 lb. 10.5 oz.). That combination weighed 6 lb. 2.5 oz. and the TK45S weighed 7 lb. 8.25 oz. With the lighter Toho (2 lb. 12.5 oz.), I can go with a lighter ballhead (in the 10 - 12 oz. range) and a lighter, more compact carbon fiber "traveler" style tripod (in the 2.2 - 2.5 lb. range). So, not only do I save almost 5 lb. in camera weight, but I also saved an addition 3 lb. on the tripod and head.

And, because the lighter camera and tripod are also much more compact, they fit in a much smaller lighter daypack. saving a couple more pounds. Of course, I also reduce the size and weight of other items in my backpacking kit. My lightmeter went from 8 oz. to 1.5 oz. I carry a 3 - 4 lens lit with a total weight of 1 - 1.5 lb (compared to a six lens kit that weighs about 4.5 lb. for general purpose use), fewer (4 vs. 6) and smaller (52mm vs. 67mm) filters with stack caps instead of a filter wallet, etc. But, it all starts with a smaller, lighter camera and the majority of the weight savings (about 10 lb.) comes from the camera, tripod/head and pack.

Kerry

Excellent !