Thread: My 4x5 journey

My 4x5 journey

I should say hello! I have already started posting a few weeks ago, but I am still new to this adventure.

Quick background. I started photography in '08 with a Nikon D40. I loved it right off the bat and was greatly impressed with the quality I was able to achieve with that camera over my previous point and shoots. I then moved up to a D7000 last spring. Again I loved it and was happy. This is when I took an ever more serious dive into photography.

Try as I may I could never get the quality images I was looking for. I started researching and found large format interesting, but wasn't yet sold. I fully believed that digital was equal to film in quality. Then in a gallery I saw the most stunning, vivid photos I had ever seen. I found out they were shot on a 4x5 camera and I was instantly converted into a believer. It was hard, but I traded in my DSLR for a 4x5. I don't regret it at all. Now I am shooting a tachihara 4x5.

Re: My 4x5 journey

Welcome. Good luck with the 4x5.

Hello and welcome to the club from a fellow Tachihara 4x5 owner.

dexmeister, 4x5s are ok, but wait untill you can see some prints from an 8x10
    "I am a reflection photographing other reflections within a reflection. To photograph reality is to photograph nothing." Duane Michals

Quote Originally Posted by lenicolas View Post
    dexmeister, 4x5s are ok, but wait untill you can see some prints from an 8x10
    I can't look, not until I get some mileage out of my 4x5. As soon as I do, I am afraid I will have to have it.

I have actually been thinking a lot about making my own 8x10. I have a pretty good scheme for a 4x5 and could easily modify it for an 8x10. I am too addicted to this already and I just started a few weeks ago.