Thread: Classifieds?

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Re: Classifieds?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    Whether, or not the letter of the law was followed can be debated
    That's exactly where I see the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    ...I understand your comments, but I respectfully disagree. The fact that this thread sat idle for seven and a half years, without any complaints about the classified section, speaks volumes for how well it works...
    This thread might have sat idle, but there have been a number of others in the interim that included both complaints about how the For Sale/Wanted category is structured and addressed problems with specific transactions.

I'm one of those who has happily purchased multiple items from you Kerry, first via eBay (before there was a For Sale/Wanted category here) and later through your ads on this forum. I remain convinced that the slightly higher prices I'd have needed to pay for things purchased here had they transacted through eBay -- to cover your fees -- would have been worthwhile in exchange for keeping the Large Format Photography Forum commerce-free.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    WE wouldn't be having this discussion about who did and who didn't break the rules if there wasn't any rules to break!!
    Nor would we if the For Sale/Wanted category didn't exist.

Jim Ewins

A buy/sell would be great but this kind of thing requires a lot of maintenance. Bad deals or deals that go bad tend to go back to a moderator for resolution which is no fun.

From my observations of this forum, IMO there are too many that aren't adult enough to handle a disagreement.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    I'm not "badmouthing" anybody or fishing for anything. It was your lack of communication here in the forum when Susan was looking for you what create the space for some members to speculate (not me for sure). Here's a link to a genuinely concerned Susan:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=69257

Since then I always wondered what was going on. Today, I got a better picture of what happened.
    Wow; your arrogance is amazing.

How dare you assume the right to expect Kerry to communicate so that you can satisfy your curiosity? How dare you assume that (what you perceive as) a lack of communication was a conscious act on Kerry's behalf? For what it's worth, if you had read the thread as it was unfolding, you would have discovered that there were mitigating circumstances. But truth and accuracy don't really seem to bother you.

Instead, you just shoot your mouth off here with smear and innuendo that paints a very, very helpful, honest, genuine supporter of photography as being, at best, negligent in his transactions.

Have you ever dealt directly with Kerry?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Wow; your arrogance is amazing.

How dare you assume the right to expect Kerry to communicate so that you can satisfy your curiosity? How dare you assume that (what you perceive as) a lack of communication was a conscious act on Kerry's behalf? For what it's worth, if you had read the thread as it was unfolding, you would have discovered that there were mitigating circumstances. But truth and accuracy don't really seem to bother you.

Instead, you just shoot your mouth off here with smear and innuendo that paints a very, very helpful, honest, genuine supporter of photography as being, at best, negligent in his transactions.

Have you ever dealt directly with Kerry?
    Somebody calling me arrogant! lol
    Your words are making my case. When you lack substance in your argument then you start calling names, trying to get the moderators in the "delete" mode. I hope they do not fall for it this time.

When Susan started to get worried trying to locate Kerry after two months without communication the first thought (I’m sure other members had it too) was “ it could happen to me”.

Regarding any deal with Kerry, yes. I was ready to buy a lens from the 100 list when Susan’s post called my attention.
    It’s up to each member to draw their own conclusions.

So, question for the moderators, just to be clear.
    Are we allow according to the current rules in "Classifieds" to create a FS thread and instead of listing the prices in the opening post we will add a link later on to an external site with the prices? It could be very convenient.
    uh, no.

Ken Lee wrote this, which Kerry quoted: "Note from moderator - Make sure that prices are listed if you add more posts on this thread." i.e. "It's not the end of the world but it's not the rules so add prices from now on". Pretty straightforward, if you ask me (which I'm not sure you do, but hey).

Strangely enough, this thread has given me a huge laugh as it reminded me of this (all in good fun!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTl9zYS3_dc&feature=fvst

That's exactly where I see the irony.
    That's not irony. It's difference of opinion. There wasn't one item listed in that thread that didn't have a price clearly stated.

Where the gray area comes in is that I also posted a link to additional, non-specific items. That link contained a list of items, the condition and a clearly stated price for each item.

The forum rule states: "Auctions are not permitted. Links to other auction sites such as eBay or other points of sale are prohibited and will be deleted without notice."

There were no auctions, no links to eBay listings. That much is clear and without question. I have no idea what "other points of sale" means. I did not offer my lenses for sale anywhere else - just to the readers of this forum.

Again from Ken Lee's post on the first page of that thread:

[QUOTE=Ken Lee;638676]We don't allow bidding, or pointers to bidding that takes place elsewhere on the web.[quote]

Again, I did not allow, encourage or accept bidding on any of the items I offered for sale. No one paid more than my initial asking price for any item. A few people paid less, either when I lowered my asking price on items that didn't sell immediately, or when I accepted a lower offer for an item. Every item that was listed, in the thread and at the link had a clearly stated price. Anyone who saw what I was selling saw the price at the exact same time.

I still don't see how I broke any rules. Multiple moderators read and participated in that thread and none of my posts were deleted or edited. So, they must not have thought I broke any rules.

Since then, I have decided to list items individually, or in small groups of similar items, with full descriptions and the required asking prices (which I have always done). It's more work, but in the end, it gives potential buyers a better idea of what they are purchasing, and IMHO, an educated customer is likely to be a happy customer.

Kerry

Lachlan 717

Your words are making my case.
    Given how badly you're doing it, it seemed that someone had to. Nature abhors a vacuum...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    WE wouldn't be having this discussion about who did and who didn't break the rules if there wasn't any rules to break!!
    And we wouldn't have a classifieds section if there weren't any rules. Sounds like a classic Catch-22. Although this thread may eventually grow to equal it in length, I doubt if it will ever be as highly regarded as Joseph Heller's classic novel.

Kerry