Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on wood tripods

Re: Thoughts on wood tripods

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Winds and water don't vibrate a tripod. They're external forces that can move a tripod (but then they move the tripod regardless of its material - only the weight makes a difference) but not vibrate it as winds do not vibrate in themselves, only push. Water cannot vibrate a heavy tripod either for the same reason - in nature, water doesn't vibrate. Irregular pushes can move a tripod only if they're strong enough - regardless of tripods materials.
    As to the idea to use a wooden tripod in water it seems it has some disadvantages in comparison to metal/CF tripods too.
    Not to start an argument with you, but wind and water do cause vibrations called resonance. This happens more so with hallow materials such a hallow aluminum or cf tubes, hence my concern and also why musical instruments are made out of hallow wood rather than solid wood. If you want to se an extreme example of resonance vibrations, check out Tacoma Narrows bridge. Wind and water passing by the materials causes the material to vibrate.

At any rate, I just want to know what others experiences were with wood. And many thanks for those of you that replied.

I have 4 wooden tripods, all made by Otto. I also have an aluminum one which never gets used. There are too many advantages to wood when properly made.

Quote Originally Posted by dexmeister View Post
    Not to start an argument with you, but wind and water do cause vibrations called resonance. This happens more so with hallow materials such a hallow aluminum or cf tubes, hence my concern and also why musical instruments are made out of hallow wood rather than solid wood. If you want to se an extreme example of resonance vibrations, check out Tacoma Narrows bridge. Wind and water passing by the materials causes the material to vibrate.

At any rate, I just want to know what others experiences were with wood. And many thanks for those of you that replied.
    Don't worry. Tripods have no hallow materials that could create a flute wind singing vibrations to you camera. You would need to drink a lot for that to hear it. And using the Tacoma bridge as an example of why a wooden tripod is better for a camera than CF tripods is technically out of reality. You see, when you defend a technically incorrect notion you inevitably fall into more and more technically incorrect affirmations.
    A wind can cause a flute to play but not the tripod. Their construction is different and wind effects on them too.
    Now, have a look at the Tacoma bridge and rush for a wooden tripod...

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Don't worry. Tripods have no hallow materials that could create a flute wind singing vibrations to you camera. You would need to drink a lot for that to hear it. And using the Tacoma bridge as an example of why a wooden tripod is better for a camera than CF tripods is technically out of reality. You see, when you defend a technically incorrect notion you inevitably fall into more and more technically incorrect affirmations.
    A wind can cause a flute to play but not the tripod. Their construction is different and wind effects on them too.
    Now, have a look at the Tacoma bridge and rush for a wooden tripod...
    Do you have something against people new to large format? I have never used a CF tripod nor have I used a quality aluminum tripod and therefore I am unaware of their construction, but if the legs are made out of a hallow tube they will resonate, simple as that. And FYI, everything is vibrating, all the time, yes even the ground, solid rocks and all. I simply want to make an informed decision before I make a purchase and wanted to hear others opinions, which other than you everyone was kind enough to do so. Feel free to reply all day to his and waste you time, I no longer care what you have to say you are on ignore. I just wanted a simple opnion. Sheesh!

Do you have something against people new to large format? I have never used a CF tripod nor have I used a quality aluminum tripod and therefore I am unaware of their construction, but if the legs are made out of a hallow tube they will resonate, simple as that...
    Chill down. Metal tripod legs while hollow have their holes covered. And a covered even if hollow cylinder doesn't vibrate in winds. The more you defend a technically incorrect affirmation the more technical faults you make.
    For someone who is "unaware of tripods construction" you seem to be quite opinionated about their vibration capacities. Why declare metal tripods as vibrating in winds when they don't?

I converted an old wooden surveyors tripod to work with my 4x5 and 8x10 when working near the car or in the studio.

I bought a Feisol carbon fiber tripod because it was the simplest and lightest legs I could find for backpacking. I went through a couple of Bogen's CF offerings and decided I needed a bare-bones, no frills lightweight CF tripod.

and to the argument that just take a pound or two off your body instead of your tripod doesn't make much sense when your miserable from all of that extra tripod weight digging into your shoulder. My wooden legs suck to carry for long distances. I don't make very good pictures when I'm not comfortable.

As far as vibrations go... I've never noticed them with any of my tripods (aluminum, wood or CF). You can definitely over think it. Good skills can over-ride any mechanical shortcomings.
    Robert Oliver

Drew Wiley

I have always pampered my carbon-fiber tripods. They do get used in all kinds of weather, on granite boulders, in streams and snow etc; but then they are neatly
    compacted and tucked under the top flap of my pack. That is not the case with
    either of my Ries wooden tripods. They are attached to the back of the pack with
    bunji cords and inevitably collide with all kinds of overhanging branches, and have even been used repeatedly to what blackberry vines and poison oak off my intended
    route. So I was really suprised when, after many years of battle scars and outright
    abuse, and one of my Ries maple legs developed a twist crack, I offered to buy a
    new leg from them, but they insisted on giving me one free under lifetime warranty.
    I also happen to sell survey tripods, and you get what you pay for. Ries is the real
    deal. Nothing rusts, the legs rarely freeze up due to rain or ice, and they support
    the camera wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post

As far as vibrations go... I've never noticed them with any of my tripods (aluminum, wood or CF). You can definitely over think it. Good skills can over-ride any mechanical shortcomings.
    I agree. I routinely take pictures in high winds (have also special cameras for that...) on high mountains (love it) with cameras on CF tripods and don't suffer any vibrations.

Thanks all. I took most of what everyone here had to say into consideration and I ended up ordering the Berlebach 3032. It fit my budget and seems like a good option based on what people here and other places say about it.

Like anything I know there are many good tools for the job. I am sure this will serve me well. If nothing else it will blow me away when I compare it to my $60 best buy pos I bought 5 months ago.

Thanks all. I took most of what everyone here had to say into consideration and I ended up ordering the Berlebach 3032. It fit my budget and seems like a good option based on what people here and other places say about it.

Like anything I know there are many good tools for the job. I am sure this will serve me well. If nothing else it will blow me away when I compare it to my $60 best buy pos I bought 5 months ago.
    Perfectly good choice, good luck with it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.