Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Artifact (dark ray) on Negative

Artifact (dark ray) on Negative

Greetings,

Was out hiking this past weekend with a Crown Graflex 4x5 with Schneider 135mm lens. The scan attached shows a ray across the image. I was thinking it was a light leak but it's darker and not lighter as one would expect. The holder is a Toyo. The sun was just over my right shoulder so it would have leaked into the holder at the dark slide. I've checked for bellows light leak and it's 100% tight. Not sure what this is.

There are a lot of problems with dust on this image as the holder managed to drop a short distance into the very dry / dusty ground. I realize the foreground is a bit of waste but walking into heavy brush with rattlers about wasn't a risk worth it.

_ .. --
    TiM

Re: Artifact (dark ray) on Negative

What is your development process? It is nice to have all the info before we start guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    What is your development process? It is nice to have all the info before we start guessing.
    Yes, that might help... I used a Combi tank, this was only negative in tank. Developer was R09 one shot mixed 50:1. Development time was about 10 minutes with agitation about every two minutes. The Combi works well and I've not had this problem with it. Also use a Jobo 3010 but didn't use it for this go.

Thanks

Tim

The posted image of the film is showing up as a positive on my screen. Either way it is likely the cable release.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The posted image of the film is showing up as a positive on my screen. Either way it is likely the cable release.
    Interesting... For this image with the Crown Graphic I used the side mounted shutter release. I think the cable is pretty much out of the way but your idea of something in front of the lens makes a lot of sense. Perhaps a small twig was in the way, or something like that.

We'll call this one solved! Thanks very much for your help.

Best Regards,

Tim

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    +1

yes been there done that camera strap or cable release.

I disagree -- I think it was a long exposure and a large black eagle diving down to get a rattlesnake on its way to bite Tim.

It just wasn't his time! =)

sorry for the thread hijack but I also have odd artefacts in my image. This photo, my 2nd ever in LF, was taken at night and developed in the day using a homemade tube. I cant for the life of me understand the light pattern, what could have caused that? The one obvious thing to me is maybe when I swapped from developer to acid stop, but the negative didnt even leave the tube and light was getting in for less than a second, unlike how he does it in the BTZS videos.
    I took my watch off and transferred the film at both steps in a dark bag in a dark room.
    Maybe the holder is faulty? TR hot spot is a street light.
    it's odd how the two horizontal lines both end on the diagonal where the deck ends (this was taken looking off a deck. the silhouette is an off spotlight, the large squarish white thing below is a broken table top).

Also, bottom right, I suspect those are developing marks. Agitation was hard for 10 seconds, then 6 rpm, directions changed every minute for 12 mins, rodinal 1/50.