Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ries tripod head

Ries tripod head

I currently have a 4x5 and giant Studioball head but I am unsatisfied with the d egree of precision afforded by the ballhead. It's floppy and a bit tough to leve l precisely. I am considering switching to a Ries double tilt or Gitzo 3-way pan head. The control levers on the Gitzo look like they might stick out too far an d get in the way while examining the groundglass. I'd appreciate comments from a nyone who has used either the Gitzo or Ries head. Thanks.

Ries tripod head

A head that I like for large format is the Bogen 410 or 3275. It is a geared head and very easy to get exactly the placement that you want. It is advertised as a small and medium format head but it will handle any 4x5 that I have seen. Give it a look.

Ries tripod head

I use a Ries A250 double tilt head for my 8 x 10 camera and was glad I did not go the cheaper way I was leaning. It provides me with a very stable and rigid platform and is easy to adjust to any circumstance. Yes, it is heavy, but the controls are easy to reach and when you lock them in, they stay. Like you, I did not go for the control levers sticking out of the side of some heads and I could not find a ball head that I felt comfortable with.

If I was using a 4 x 5, I would still recommend the Ries because they are of the same design - only smaller. If possible, I would take your camera to a store to set it up on several heads and play with them for a while. That is how I ended up with the Ries. Good Luck.

Ries tripod head

You really want the Arca Swiss B2 monoball. I haven't used the Ries, but all of the rational (2 way tilt + pan) I have ever used had slight "creep" after tighte ning them down, including the Gitzo 1570. The B2 has the convience of a true ballhead, but no floppiness and is easy to le vel both side to side and fore to aft as these axis are controled seperately. Ch eck the posts on the nature forum about the B2. It truly is great! (BTW: I do no t work for nor am I sponsored by Arca Swiss in any way.) The other alternative I would seriously look at, especially if you own a Sinar 4x5 is the Foba/Sinar pa n/tilt head.

Ries tripod head

I tried working (struggling)with the FOBA Superball for a while before realizing that there was really no rational reason to use a superball (or any ball head) with a (heavy)large format camera (where it is crucial to level quickly..and your movements are mostly axial). The Gitzo works best. If the handle is too long. switch the shorter side handle with the longer back one

Ries tripod head

Jeff, yes the 3275 (410) is a very interesting geared head. The head will probably handle a lot of 4x5 cameras. What really worries me though the flimsy looking quick release attachment. Is there any way to get the head with just a 3/8 or 1/4 screw and no quick release?

Ries tripod head

The quick release is one of the desirable things about this head. It takes two motions to release this plate, one is to push in a button and the other is to move the lever the button is on in the opposite direction. I haven't been able to figure out how you could accidently release the plate and I have tried, the quick releases on most Bogens is a real weak point in my opinion but this is a big improvement. Also, to place the camera on the head everything goes into place with a definite release noise from the lever or else it doesn't go together at all. I have also put it through its paces with a 20+ pound monorail to check to see if there would be any movement or drift from the gears and found none. I could imagine smacking the head against a rock and breaking it in 2 or 3 pieces but otherwise mine has performed very well for me.

Ries tripod head

I used the 3275 head as my main 4x5 head for about a year but then i realized th at i was constantly adjusting the head to keep it level in either direction. For 6x7 and smaller it is a fine head, and maybe even for some small 4x5 field came ras, but otherwise i started to find it aggravating.

Ries tripod head

I may not have made it clear in my original post but the B2 Monoball is a dual axial head, not a true freely spinning ball head.

Ries tripod head

The Ries head is a great one. Fully recommended.