Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quantum leap foreward!

Quantum leap foreward!

I am putting in a new subfloor and tile in the laundry room and I happen to have a piece of scrap plywood left that is 17" wide and 8' long---long enough to cover both sinks on the counter of my Barbie bathroom/dark room so I can evenly space my trays rather than working around the two sinks. Now my question is---how do I finish the plywood? Shellac maybe? Plastic lamainate? A coat of paint or perhaps stain and wax? Fiber glass? Do I need a lip n the edges to collect spills? What would you do?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Quantum leap foreward!

I suppose that would depend on the nature of the chemicals you're using. One thing you might look into is the coatings designed to keep chemical stains off garage floors.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

I would not put too much effort into a scrap of plywood. However I would make sure it is not a dust bomb before I took it into the darkroom. I would give it a good sanding, wipe it down, and the coat it with sealant or something like floor paint. Maybe a long furring strip down the center for rigidity would be good.

Marine varnish

laminate

anything as long as you do every edge & top side & under side TOO

WEST System epoxy.....float your boat as well as seal your plywood. Add the furring strip for rigidity. I make my sinks from plywood and west system epoxy and then paint them with a high performance industrial paint.
    Last edited by BIATHLONEIL; 1-Oct-2011 at 06:06. Reason: grammar at it's best...kind of.
    "A closed book teaches no one".

-Neil the Wheel

I'll second the epoxy sealant from West Systems. Minimum three coats and applied with good ventilation. The edge lip for spill is a fine idea.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I fyou shop Home Depot, Menard's and Lowes, they have laminate countertops with backsplash and rounded front for $30-40 for 6-8 foot counters...no screwing around and you can probably buy one on sale for the price of the finish you want to use on your plywood..They are also very rigid..If you have a Hobo store nearby, they're probably cheaper. I have three enlargers sitting on ome of these..

Realistically speaking, if this is just an old piece of plywood, why not just use it and if it gets too bad, toss it and get a new piece? KISS. Just wipe off any dust/crud and have at it