Page 89 of 96 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast

Thread: how old are we?

Re: how old are we?

47 years old

I am 60 this year, and I have been using 4x5 cameras since 1987 when I went to Ivy Tech for Commercial Photography. I got bitten by the b&w bug, and realized that the only way I could have complete control over my negatives, was to shoot sheet film. So, I fell in love with the whole process, and never looked back!

Almost 64 years old with 3 LF 4x5 cameras (Cambo, MPP, VDS) used regularly, 3 MF: Mamyia RB67 and S23, Yashica Mat (both 2 or 3 times/year), 3 Nikon F100 (quite often), Nikon D750 (often) and Fuji X100T (often). Which give more pleasure to use? Guess: VDS, F100... and D750. LF exclusively in B&W (Fomapan to lower the cost).

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I don't know why I keep answering this thread. I am now a year older than last time so I must be 91. I'm lucky to have good genes and good doctors who brought me back from death's bed when I was attacked b a rare bacteria last year. Still using 2 of my favorite cameras several times each week. AN 8x10 and a 5x12.Age Related Loss of strength caused me to sell the 7x17 so I Have to get by with these smaller ones.
    I hope I'm still in good enough shape to haul my 4x5 around when I hit my 90s (and I hope Kodak or Ilford will still be making film!). I'm 24 and I've been shooting film since 2017, but only started shooting 4x5 last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Stay Healthy and active. Don't sit down and die.
    Sounds like solid advice to me! Between COVID and the cold weather here on the East Coast it's been hard to get out and shoot, but I'm hoping things warm up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by joe a kras View Post
    ... It occurred to me that I don't think I've seen very many young people using this format, actually I don't see too many people shooting large format at all.
    66 for me.

I see that this thread was started many years ago and I think things may have changed.

Having recently decided to blow the dust of my old Tachihara I went in search of Youtube videos about LF film photography, and just about ALL of them are by young people. I also just finished watching a video about the current LF camera manufactures, the list was a long as my arm and I'd never heard of most of them because they are new.

So I'm thinking (and hoping) that there is a resurgence in LF photography, partly because I hate thinking that all the knowledge I gained over the years is useless in this modern world. Maybe not.

I replied to a 24 year old member this morning

and forgot his name already
    Tin Can

Bill

18 here. I've been shooting large format for about three years, film five, and in general ten. I hope to continue for as long as I can, but who knows what the state of film will be in the coming decades. I'm not all that optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rolph View Post
    18 here. I've been shooting large format for about three years, film five, and in general ten. I hope to continue for as long as I can, but who knows what the state of film will be in the coming decades. I'm not all that optimistic.
    see Denise Ross's website, the light farm or similar, it has a lot of good information about making films incl. ortho and pan chromatic films iirc. Supplies can be purchased from Photographer's Formulary, among other sources. LONG LIVE CHEMICAL PHOTOGRAPHY!

I'm a lot older now than I was when this thread was started.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    see Denise Ross's website, the light farm or similar, it has a lot of good information about making films incl. ortho and pan chromatic films iirc. Supplies can be purchased from Photographer's Formulary, among other sources. LONG LIVE CHEMICAL PHOTOGRAPHY!
    LOL. SImilar toughts got me years ago. After I went back to film from a brief spell of digital only I was scared that I wouldn't be able to use film anymore. So I got "Primitive Photography" and from there started the journey into 4x5. I wanted to go A4 as the book centers on making paper sensitive and that is the most common format here. But honestly, now I'm convinced that film will outlive me.

Long live Kodachrome! I really miss this film.... Wish I could shoot it in 4x5.
    Expert in non-working solutions.