Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing ULF, how about R T Ritter fields ?

Choosing ULF, how about R T Ritter fields ?

I got contaminated with ULF virus and planning to go all the way....
    I am very interested in R T Ritter concept.
    ..."they seem very good with an emphasis on being light in weight", as a was told to me by one of "experts" on our LFF forum, any advises welcome.
    Thanks for you comments.
    MAC

behind the Aliene

Re: Choosing ULF, how about R T Ritter fields ?

You can order a DVD owners manual of Ritter's ULF cameras here.

I don't know if they have a region coding on them, so I don't know if they'd work in Europe or not. But it's an interesting DVD, and shows a lot of the functionality of his cameras.

I have the DVD, but don't have a Ritter ULF camera, so I can't comment further.

I have a Ritter 7x17 and just love it. The light weight allows me to use a Ries J-100 tripod and J-250 head. I enjoy the 7x17 so much that I also purchased a Ritter 8x10. I would second the suggestion to get the DVD.

If you decide to move forward please do yourself a favor and give Richard a call. Richard was VERY thorough in making my camera was the best fit for me. By that, I mean he asked me a bunch of questions including asking if I saw myself moving up on the ULF scale. When I mentioned I MIGHT be interested in 8x20, Richard suggested I consider purchasing an 8x20 camera with a 7x17 reducing back to keep the total cost down. Priceless advice!

Welcome to ULF!

I haven't used any of Richards equipment but I will say that it would be very valuable to have a live person behind the camera that you do buy. Besides most would concede that Richard is a master craftsman in the art of LF camera making with many years of experience and just a plain fine fellow.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I also have a Ritter 7x17 and it is a fabulous piece of kit. Very versatile, rigid and extremely light. I was on the list for a 8x10 but time and family got in the way of that one...

Before I got my Korona, I number crunched the feasibility of getting Richard's 7x17 (short rails) with a separate 8x10 rear standard and bellows that could be switched out when I didn't need the wide neg. It's something I would still get if I had a bit more money and wanted to cut down on weight.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I am only up to 8x10 and use a Wehman, not a Ritter. But i have researched my options should I want to move up or get a new 8x10 and I would get a Ritter. Well made, well thought out, light weight, versatile, etc. I second the idea of buying the DVD which is informative even if you don't buy the camera.

There is not a camera out there that does not create a love it or it does not work for me opinion. That tells me that the only way to determine if it is for you is to get behind it and make some negatives with it. Only then will you have the ability to use the controls, evaluate the weight and rigidity and see if it works for you.

I tried a Wehman and it just did not work for me. Ansel felt the same way about the Deardorf so it is a very personal thing.

[QUOTE=Miguel Coquis;783984][FONT="Courier New"]I got contaminated with ULF virus and planning to go all the way....
    I am very interested in R T Ritter concept.
    ..."they seem very good with an emphasis on being light in weight", as a was told to me by one of "experts" on our LFF forum, any advises welcome.
    Thanks for you comments.

I will bring a 20 x 24 to Berlin by the end of October. Just shoot me a note if you should be in town and would like to have a look at it.

Glad to read all positive comments. One particular point that can raise questions is front standard dimensions.
    Seems ok for "standard" modern lenses, but...
    Any advises that can help, pro&cons ?
    thanks all,
    MAC