Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: George Eastman House

Re: George Eastman House

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Our son had his wedding near Rochester, so for weeks, I eagerly looked forward to visiting the George Eastman House. They have an enormous collection of photographs in their underground vaults.

I think that I found about five of what I would call, vintage photographs. One was "The Steerage", so that was neat. They had a Norman Rockwell exhibit, and I liked their technology room and toured the mansion.

But overall, I was vastly disappointed.

I'm amazed that they don't display more of their outstanding still photography collection. What the heck do they have it for, if they don't display it?
    It's the latest thinking in curatorial circles - as long as you never display a print it won't deteriorate. And deterioration would be a shame because then nobody would be able to see the print. So to prevent deterioration keep it stored in total darkness so that nobody will be able to see the print. And if you do make the mistake of displaying it, at least turn the lights down so low that it can't really be seen.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    ...to prevent deterioration keep it stored in total darkness so that nobody will be able to see the print.
    Is this a problem? Eh, no. Museums can make display print copies that are indistinguishable from the originals for 99% of the public, and provide archival backups for historians. If you really want to see the original you can arrange for a private viewing with museum staff.

I don't see a downside to this solution.

Well it's only a photo, just click and do another one.

Not to mention the museum preservationists are afraid of light, so exhibits are lit with 15-watt bulbs...
    if you do make the mistake of displaying it, at least turn the lights down so low that it can't really be seen.
    This is a continual complaint of mine at almost every institution I go to. Curators have an inflated opinion of their esteemed knowledge. I think everyone should get miner's hat with lights to wear at the exhibits.

and as for this:
    Is this a problem? Eh, no. Museums can make display print copies that are indistinguishable from the originals for 99% of the public,
    That's not why I go to a museum. I go to see the real thing. And I do expect to be able to actually see it.

Curators are also trying to abolish dry mounting. Why? I can't imagine. Maybe it's so they can say the prints are too delicate to be handled and THAT's why individual viewing is not possible.

Curators are like unmarried marriage counselors or child psychologists that don't have kids.

john

Forty years ago the Eastman house was a interesting place to visit: good camera collection and sometimes good photo display. I have visited a couple of times in the past few years and the place is a major disappointment.
    If you do visit Rochester, don't forget that the Finger Lakes wine country is a short drive from Rochester and you are always welcome.