Thread: Induro PHQ1 PHQ Series 5-Way Panhead comments?

Question Induro PHQ1 PHQ Series 5-Way Panhead comments?

Anybody got an opinion based on extensive use?
    The specs make this look like a near-perfect tripod head for a medium-size field camera, but the reviews at B&H are very mixed. It's under 2#, and I get the impression that the design is great, but the constructin is shoddy.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Induro PHQ1 PHQ Series 5-Way Panhead comments?

Take any 3-way pan head and add a Novoflex PANORAMA-Q Arca compatible panorama base to the top of it and you make the same thing. So, if you already have a 3-way pan head that you like just add the PANORAMA-Q to it. No need to buy a complete head.

If you happen to already own both a 3-way pan head and a seperate panarama base then you only need to add a QR to it.

The benefit to the additional accessory is that you can remove them from the 3-way head and use them in other applications when necessary.

I've read excellent reviews about its older, fatter, balding big brother, the PHQ-3, particularly from those who shoot architecture and the like.
    The 3 also uses Arca-compatible plates, while the 1 does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Take any 3-way pan head and add a Novoflex PANORAMA-Q Arca compatible panorama base to the top of it and you make the same thing. So, if you already have a 3-way pan head that you like just add the PANORAMA-Q to it. No need to buy a complete head.

If you happen to already own both a 3-way pan head and a seperate panarama base then you only need to add a QR to it.

The benefit to the additional accessory is that you can remove them from the 3-way head and use them in other applications when necessary.
    Oh Bob, how you never cease to amaze me.

The Novoflex item could certainly be added to an existing head, but considering that the cheapest model retails for about as much as the PHQ1, and the most expensive model close to twice the price of the PHQ3, it just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. If one wants to add this kind of functionality to an existing head, there are more economical options.

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    Oh Bob, how you never cease to amaze me.

The Novoflex item could certainly be added to an existing head, but considering that the cheapest model retails for about as much as the PHQ1, and the most expensive model close to twice the price of the PHQ3, it just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. If one wants to add this kind of functionality to an existing head, there are more economical options.
    David I have a Manfrotto 229 what and where could I get good pano for the top so when it's level I could just pan from the top.
    Thanks Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Clark View Post
    David I have a Manfrotto 229 what and where could I get good pano for the top so when it's level I could just pan from the top.
    Thanks Rick
    Novoflex PANORAMA if you want one without an Arca quick release. Novoflex PANORAMA Q if you want one with an Arca compatible quick release. The one without the QR has a 1/4-20 male thread.
    Berlebach also makes a nice one with a male thread as well.

Really Right Stuff $235

Arca Swiss $175 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ning_Base.html

Sunwayfoto $137 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ing_Clamp.html

Jeff Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    The Sunwayfoto for $137.00 is what I ordered for my Manfrotto 229 three way and now it is a 5 way head and it works perfect. A cheap and easy way to go.