Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Large Format Photographer Job Opening

Re: Large Format Photographer Job Opening

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    If I was 20 years younger I would definitely take a look at it. I know some of the guys there and I think they would be great to work with.
    Is this a supervisory position in a functioning lab with resident/incumbent photographers?

HABS/HAER/HALS? Yes up and running for like 50 years. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything about supervision. It only talks about assignment photography work.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

It's likely that there are a very small staff of photographers with each doing their own processing, printing and requisitioning when not out on assignment as well as for those that are out on assignment and sending in their work flow.

I wish that I had the requisite experience to apply. With the exception of documenting change over time, the job description closely matches my interests and I could easily incorporate the element of change into a photo documentary.

Thoma

Yes I believe each does his own processing, scanning and printing.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    HABS/HAER/HALS? Yes up and running for like 50 years. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything about supervision. It only talks about assignment photography work.
    The first of the listed duties:

• General oversight and operation of the archival photographic laboratory in conjunction with other members of the photography staff, which may include inventory and ordering supplies and equipment.

I guess I'm reading it incorrectly then.

Is it likely that given current methods of photography (digital) and the 13 month limited term of service, that this job really entails "safe shutdown" of the LF – darkroom operations? Nothing in the job description seems to deny this.

Unless someone already lived in DC and needed money to live for a year, I don't see any upside to taking the job?!?

• 13 month limited contract
    • experience in running an LF lab and darkroom – who cares anymore (fine art aside)

Joshua Tree, California

DC would suck big time.

All things considered I am about an hours drive from DC. There are certain things about DC I like, as in proximatey to $ and the museums. There is an awful lot of historical architecture.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post

"POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time Term NTE 13 Months"
    I didn't see that, but it's still a position with benefits. It only means they have funding for that period, and only less if the work is finished. It does get you in the door and who knows from there to prove your worth for more work. They could easily find more work or slide you into another position, maybe not in that area but there are a lot of historical places to photograph. If you're not settled and can find a decent place to live, it's worth the experience, and opens the door to other federal jobs. I hope someone here or a friend of someone here gets the job.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

If your resume shines most academic requirements go out the window. I got a GED, no college classes at all (in fact I took two and had to quit them because of the war) and just 7 years of military service under my belt and I turned down a GS-06/07 position which requires at least a degree.
    Not to tell anyone how to make a resume, but for GS positions, if you take their requirements and duties, and then place examples or points of those in your resume, they like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I don't know much about government jobs but wouldn't something like this be subject to budget scrutiny every year forever?
    Not really. If you can only imagine how much money gets spent every fiscal year on something that an appointed person can prove as "required"....you'd flip out. I'm in logistics and planning and it is really mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    So maybe a carefree yet overeducated single person would be the best fit? A very charming and persuasive one.
    The best fit is anyone who wants a job that will most likely open doors for you. The thing about government jobs is that once you got your foot in the door, you'll make friends. Once you make friends, you can move around. I haven't had a good job that doesn't require some degree of politicking. And if you like your job, stress is all the more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Knowles View Post
    As I always told folks asking about jobs, the worst you could do is apply and they say no. Not applying tells you nothing. Applying might get you an interview and who knows what else.
    So true. When I got out I applied for every single government job that dealt with my area of expertise, worldwide. I now have a great job and I am very happy.
    Scott, you were in? What service? You are a GS now?
    Social Engineer