Thread: TK 45S + linhof 3W levelling head = which tripod?!

TK 45S + linhof 3W levelling head = which tripod?!

hi
    i have a Technikardan 45S and just bought a used linhof 3-way leveling head (003663). the head weighs 800gr, the TK with lens & accessories should be around 4kg.
    i'm looking for a tripod i can take outdoors mainly, so shouldn't be too heavy. i'm looking for something that will be easy to find used (i try to buy all my gear used, ideology and budget combined!)
    what do you think of the Manfrotto 057 or 055 series?
    any other recommendations very much appreciated!!
    thanks and have a great creative weekend,
    Tal

Re: TK 45S + linhof 3W levelling head = which tripod?!

Linhof Expert Twin Shank tripod. Berlebach Report.

The Linhof Tripods are nice for sure.

I have that head and use it with other 4x5 cameras on a set of metal Gitzo 3-series legs, the equivalent of the 1326 model. It seems well balanced and proportional to those legs - not too heavy or weak. The 3-series carbon legs would be even nicer.

Do you plan to use the tel/macro bar and full bellows extension? If so you might want to consider a head with a large slotted plate that will allow more than one connection to the bar. For several years I used a smaller version of the Gitzo 1570M magnesium, either 1370 or 1270. I can't find a model number on it now. This allowed two or even three 3/8" bolt connections over a 5 ½” base. I gather those models have been replaced by 2270. Who can keep up?

Stability is king in either long lens work (I used a Nikkor 450mm M) or macro (180mm Rodenstock Apo-Macro Sironar).

John

The new Novoflex double sided Arca compatible plates allow you to mount to multiple points along the rail. These are available in 3 lengths; QPL270 10.6" long, QPL 350 13.8" long and QPL 450n17.7" long. Arca compatible QR can be positioned at any point top or bottom of these rails and long screw slots along the rails (2 on the shorter one and 3 on the longer ones) allow you to attach things to it with screws at several points. There are also threaded holes along them to screw it down to a head. But the best way is to use Arca compatible QR mounts. One on the tripod head and one in each tripod socket (this is best done with the new Novoflex Q=MOUNT-D which accepts an Arca plate on both the top and the bottom of the QR. This would allow support at multiple points of the rail of the TK, regardless of the amount of rail extended and still allow the entire system to slide front to back for camera positioning.

I use a Feisol CT-3371 carbon fiber tripod with my TK45S. Very light, extremely sturdy - I'm very satisfied. Different head, though, a Manfrotto 410... but that is heavier than the linhof. My longest lens is 210.

I have the same TK + 3W Linhof Head. Usually I use a Gitzo series 3 carbon fiber tripod.
    Alternatively I have an old model Linhof Lightweight aluminium tripod http://www.flickr.com/photos/1577397...57626305564930 and this head fit nicely on it, but the Gitzo is shorter and more easier to bring on locations http://www.flickr.com/photos/1577397...7626305564930/ .

hi, thanks for the proposals. i'm still on the search for the tripod. i'm surprised it takes me longer than it did to find a camera and all other accessories actually!
    i would love to have a series 3 (or 4) gitzo but it isn't easy finding them on the used market in Europe (i'm looking for the newer-lighter models). i don't want to have a heavy tripod as i can't carry too much weight. would be happy with anything under 3kg. i'm considering the induro's. I haven't read bad reviews yet, but maybe it's too early to tell? i did read some stories about feisols falling apart...

Feisols biggest legs with the 3W head partner well.

Recently my friend bought a Feisol. I don't remeber exactly the model, but one of the strurdiest series, with upper legs 37 mm diameter. He is very happy. Very sturdy but still light and easy to use on location. Less expensive than Gitzo, but quality seems good.