Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Landscapers ― what precautions do you take in hunting season?

Landscapers ― what precautions do you take in hunting season?

Too many times, I’ve been in the national forests – usually off the beaten path – when nearby gun shots startle me.

And if it’s fall hunting season (fast approaching) these shots sometimes not only startle me; they terrify me – even though responsible hunters, I’m certain, greatly outnumber the clueless ones in the mountains of my region. Call it bad luck, but I’ve come across the clueless ones too many times.

Usually, my chief precaution – besides choosing periodic, non-hunting weeks to explore the woods – is wearing a baseball cap that’s bright orange. I even place it on top my bellows when I go under the darkcloth. (After all, when composing next to a tripod, don’t we all look like four-legged animals to the over-zealous hunter who spots us through branch and bramble?) Moreover, two favorite times for photographic light – dawn and dusk – are preferred times for hunters to look for shots of their own.

This season, I’m considering doing more than the hat thing. Perhaps a vest too. And maybe I’ll find or make a “hunter’s orange” darkcloth. I’d enjoy hearing additional ideas from the other photographers here.

What tips can you share?

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Landscapers ― what precautions do you take in hunting season?

For the clueless, anything that is “hunter’s orange” is as good a target as a cow.

Bring a hunting rifle with you, then you can shoot back. That will balance the situation.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I wear a big orange vest and sing a lot. But I have been startled a few times when encountering a close-by a hunter in a tree stand. I'm sure I ruined their hunting for several hours, so have been thankful they have not loosed a round in my direction. That usually is sufficient to ruin my creativity for several hours too.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    ...That usually is sufficient to ruin my creativity for several hours too.
    For many photographers, this might be the biggest cost to “shooting” in hunting season.

Namely, the distraction it represents; I’ve certainly felt it.

-----
    Another habit of mine when the season is underway:

I’ll ask the district ranger’s office about favorite hunting areas – or better, if they know of hunting parties in the areas I plan to visit. Also, I’ll do more than just call a day or two ahead of my visit – if possible, I’ll visit the office the day of my visit. Not just for the most current information. A face-to-face meeting usually elicits better information than a phone conversation. Especially when there’s a forest map on the wall to refer to. Moreover, I’ll ask if a field ranger is available; their information is a useful complement to what people “behind the counter” can offer. (It’s often just plain better, too.) Finally, I think it’s important to remember that even their information could be wrong or incomplete – and head into the woods as if you had gathered information from no one, or from an unreliable source. This, of course, requires a good hunter’s imagination!

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

If you urinate regularly where you are, the animals will smell it and leave the area. With the animals gone, the hunters are less likely to stay.

That way you can be proactive!
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Wear a blaze orange hat at the minimum, also the straps that attach my tripod to pack are blaze orange. I also avoid areas that are heavily hunted except for Sundays, no Sunday hunting in PA.

Many of the parks and state forests have areas that do not allow hunting.

--
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Butcher View Post
    Wear a blaze orange hat at the minimum...
    Here’s my cap, the one I also set on top of my bellows.

Good ol’ Filson – probably saved my life a couple of times.

When I walk the October woods, it’s the indispensable item in my field kit.

I hunt, and can tell you that when walking in the woods I wouldn't just wear an orange hat during hunting season. I would recommend you get a vest. Some of the hunting vests could be very useful to photographers.

I don't understand how you could shoot at something without fully identifying it, but it does happen. I assume it's someone who's eyes are playing tricks on them combined with wishful thinking. Orange should nip that in the bud.

Haven't done it yet, but I just found out that a local surplus store stocks the extremely bright yellow reflective vests (with the reflector strips) that the highway department and construction road crews use. Seems like that with an orange hat would be pretty noticeable. Maybe even add some bear bells to alert the hunters that a human is about.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I was tempted to tie a pair of antlers on one of our more dangerous and honery mules. Turn the sucker loose on opening day. Part of my job was to ride in the wilderness on opening weekends and contact hunting camps. I usually would just have one mule behind me -- with large pieces of orange on the mule's load.

Now, generally I stay out of the woods during hunting season. Fortunately there are many alternatives where no hunting is allowed, such at our local State Parks.

Vaughn