Page 47 of 59 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Harman Direct Positive Images

Re: Harman Direct Positive Images

My local supplier mentioned that there was a rumour that Ilford was going to discontinue production again - has anyone else heard this? I hope it is not true!

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagger View Post
    My local supplier mentioned that there was a rumour that Ilford was going to discontinue production again - has anyone else heard this? I hope it is not true!
    I hope so too, but it's hard to believe it is a profitable line for them, there being so few people who use it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Olsen View Post
    I hope so too, but it's hard to believe it is a profitable line for them, there being so few people who use it.
    Just checked the usual suspects - Adorama and B&H, seems like they are all on backorder for the 4x5's at least.

That would be unfortunate if the rumour was true, I just used up the last of my stock. I'd like to get at least one decent shot with it :-).

That would be a disaster! I love this stuff.

A couple of final tries in this series: Under varying hazy skies at Jacob Ebey's House and Blockhouse, 8 min. and 6 min. exposures respectively with the pinhole camera.

Attachment 161154

Attachment 161155
    These turned out well! For some reason I seem to be struggling very much with this medium...I hope I can get my handd on more of this stuff so I can consistently get images like yours and Aubreys and others who have posted here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

John Olsen

Here's a last try on this at the Reubel farm. This is clumsily cut 4x5 Harman DPP with a 360mm lens, f32 and 6 s exposure under hazy sky. I've enjoyed this interaction, but won't be back to check on this thread for a couple of weeks. I hope there's lots to see by then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reubel comp.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	161223

I'm really having the worst time metering for this stuff. I'm using my DSLR for it, I guess maybe reflective is not the best way to go. Can anyone recommend an external meter?

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagger View Post
    I'm really having the worst time metering for this stuff. I'm using my DSLR for it, I guess maybe reflective is not the best way to go. Can anyone recommend an external meter?
    I use a Pentax spot meter. The problem is the narrow dynamic range, I think. I place the brightest tone that I hope to retain in detail in Zone VI and hope that the preflash will help the shadows record. The usual method of exposing for the shadows doesn't work for me.

John Olsen

Back from 3 weeks in sunny Mexico and now using up my 8x10 Harman on our abundant overcast days. This is Fort Casey, Rodenstock 360mmm lens, f32.5, 8 sec.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FtCasey 3-20  No 3.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	162968

I use a Pentax spot meter. The problem is the narrow dynamic range, I think. I place the brightest tone that I hope to retain in detail in Zone VI and hope that the preflash will help the shadows record. The usual method of exposing for the shadows doesn't work for me.
    This is actually what I do, too.

I've wondered if part of the reason exposing for the shadows doesn't work is because it's a positive. On a negative, shadows are the white and highlights are black, so when you expose for the shadows on this it's equivalent to exposing for the highlights on a regular negative. This would make sense of everything else I've experienced: reciprocity works backwards, developing in diafine reduces film speed instead of increasing it (getting a decent exposure in diafine requires ISO ~1), etc.