Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacemaker Speed Graphic Questions

Pacemaker Speed Graphic Questions

Hi all,

I want to play Weegee and Burnett and Galli, and I have decided to get a Pacemaker Speed Graphic. When I first got into 4x5 I initially disparaged these cameras for their lack of movements. How stupid of me. Their versatility is astonishing!

Anyway, I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you could answer:

1. If I obtained a speed with the top-mounted Graflex rangefinder and had a cam made for the Aero-Ektar, would there be any improvement in focusing accuracy over the Kalart rangefinder?

2. Do you know anyone who can perform extensive repair on these classic cameras (other than Fred Lustig)? I’m thinking of a good cleaning and overhaul of the focal plane shutter and rangefinder. Also, if I end up with the top rangefinder, I will need a couple of cams, and I might even have a Kalart rangefinder installed. I was thinking of skgrimes but I’m not sure how knowledgeable they are with Graflex. And yes, I know there are instructions for most of these tasks, but I’m too lazy to do them myself, and I want the utmost precision.
    Peter Y.

Re: Pacemaker Speed Graphic Questions

I'm doing something similar. I think you'll be better off with the Kalart RF unless you really want to get a custom cam made ($$$). I'll have to PM you when I have a chance, I also have an Aero Ektar that I just got mounted on a Speed.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I have an older Pacemaker, probably 1951, with a side mounted Kalart rangefinder. I found Jo Lommen's site http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/index.html to be a treasure trove of information on mounting an Aero-Ektar and also adjusting the RF so that it would work with the AE lens. He also has a great lens mount/hood combo if you want to spend the $. After spinning my wheels trying to make a suitable mount, I finally coughed up the euros for his lensboard and hood. Trying to find/make an RF cam might be an exercise in futility. Also, the top mounted RF Speeds are in short supply and much more expensive. Good luck in your search.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

The TRF Graphic is an excellent camera and can be set up to focus multiple lenses all with the same "hard stop" at infinity. In addition, the camera is capable of "Big Shot" configuation as I have just described here
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=80067&page=4

Cams are quite easy to cut accurately from stock metal material available in most hobby stores. A cam you cut yourself can be far more accurate than a factory cam. A WWII Air Force vet and photo-optic technician showed me how to do all this and more when I worked for the infamous Dyn Corp. in the 1970s. There should be someone out there doing this work at a reasonable price, but please don't ask me. Tomorrow I will post some photos of my custom TRF cams.

A clean TRF Speed would be very desirable for use with barrel mounted lenses, but it will not be possible to set up very short lenses like the 58 or 65 for RF focusing as you can on the Crown because of the thickness of the body. A 75 might work.

To help you think about short lenses, the 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic's minimum flange-to-film distance is 66.7 mm.

Neal, you wrote
    can be set up to focus multiple lenses all with the same "hard stop" at infinity.
    Please explain further. I ask because it seems that this would give up focusing travel for all lenses but the shortest one in the set.

I doubt/know/have experienced any Graphic rangefinder will accurately focus an Aero-Ektar other than at middle to infinity distances... but it's only money. Taking a picture of a tree and hitting focus is easy... a portrait, not too likely.

"Hard Stops" means that the lens is focused at infinity and the split image in the RF is aligned when the focus track is turned all the way back against the stops in the body. TRF cameras came from the factory set up like this with the original lens. If you added additional lenses and factory cams, the RF might not align at infinity on the hard stops. If it was short, you set the lens stops at infinity and lived with it. At least you could be sure of infinity focus on the hard stops, and the error at closer distances was probably minor. You could also increase the height of the cam at the high end by flattening it out a bit with a hammer and punch and get the RF to line up. You will find this has been done on many older Linhof cams.

If the RF image moved beyond infinty, the track could be locked down at the point the image aligned and then the lens stops were set. This was called "Soft Stops". My old friend told me that many press photographers adjusted the Kalarts on soft stops because they wanted to "see infinity". I'm sure you have seen 35mm telephoto lenses that focused "beyond infinity" and required caution on the part of the user. You could also file off a bit of the TRF cam high end until the RF aligned correctly.

If you cut your own custom cams for the TRF Graphic you have them all accurate throughout the focusing range, and all reach true infinity on the hard stops.

The Aero Ektar is 178mm. I could cut a TRF cam for it to focus accurately from infinity to about ten feet and then allow for accurate focusing of head and shoulders shots in the "Big Shot" mode at one fixed distance of about five feet. If the lens was mounted and ready to go, and the camera was in perfect working order, the project would take me essentially a full day with re-packing and shipping. Good commercial assignments are hard to come by now. Pay me my day rate and I would do it, but why can't the experts at S. K. Grimes do it for less?

With my 150mm and on a camera with a 180mm that I set up for another photographer, you can compose two heads close together in horizontal in the Big Shot mode. A 250mm is only capable of one tighter head and shoulders vertically.

Changing the cam on a TR Graphic is a PITA at best, and at worst it can be a total nightmare. It's slow and it's clumsy. It's just not a good design, and was significantly improved with the Super Graphic.
    A Kalart for your Aero, and a TR for one other lens is probably the best you're going to do.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    A Kalart for your Aero, and a TR for one other lens is probably the best you're going to do.
    That's the approach I'm taking. I already have a cam that is accurate for the 127mm Optar that came on my top-rangefinder Speed (checked at various distances with a 10x loupe on the ground glass). I'm adding the Kalart to be able to focus an Ilex Paragon 8-1/2" lens. I doubt any of these rangefinders are accurate enough for wide apertures and tight portrait distances, but stopped down a bit they should work well enough. The last bits I need are coming to me now .

The only hard part is attaching the actuator that pushes the rangefinder actuation arm to the focus track. The necessary threaded holes were not provided on the top-rangefinder Pacemakers.

Rick "not expecting the RF to be accurate for an 8-1/2" lens used at f/4.5" Denney