Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linhof Technika backup bellows and other practical questions...

Linhof Technika backup bellows and other practical questions...

I've been shooting with a Linhof Master Technika 2000 for a few months now and it's a real pleasure. I got it as a more portable (and occasionally hand-holdable) supplement to my Technikardan.

I have a few practical matters that I'm sure have been figured out by the many Technika users out there.

First of all, I find the universal bellows to be great, it's nice not to have to change to a bag bellows and I still get decent movements out of my wide lenses. However the fact that it's not interchangeable worries me a bit. I have some trips coming up and I'll probably take the Technika. So I worry about what might happen if I'm in Mumbai or Lagos and my bellows is damaged (probably due to user error or accident). Do any of you Technika shooters carry a spare bellows? Is it hard to change if I were to carry the correct tools? (And what are the correct tools, it appears to be just a screwdriver?)

If such an accident occurred, I'd probably send the whole camera to Marflex upon my return for a cla and a new factory bellows, so would it be smarter to buy a cheaper one from china or from camera bellows to use as an interim/backup?

The only other issue I have is that the camera has no built-in levels. I have tried a shoe-mount level I used to use with my Mamiya 7 but it's not terribly accurate. I assume if I ordered some Technikardan levels from Marflex and mounted them to the top of my camera that it would be a cardinal sin and would reduce the value of the camera. It may also interfere with the W/A flap and with mounting the camera upside-down which I do for front fall.

So what do you folks use to level the camera? I've been carrying a small (8-inch) torpedo level which works fine but is a bit large to carry. It can also be difficult to use for fore-aft leveling with lens rise or when shooting verticals (since the front standard and/or gg back is higher the body so the level doesn't sit against it properly.

Are any of the shoe-mount levels any good? Or do most of you just carry separate levels?

Re: Linhof Technika backup bellows and other practical questions...

Noah,

cannot help you on the bellows (on my ancient Tech III it does not look easy to remove them, but luckily they are still in a great shape, even after 57 years).

On the levels: the other day I read this thread, the consensus seems to lean towards having a nice grid on your ground glass and use the grid lines to level..

Best,

Cor

I thought back pockets were invented to hold levels when they are not in use.....

I just had a new set of Chinese bellows installed in my Horseman 45FA by Bob Watkins. I had hoped that Camera Bellows could make a replacement, but the pleats were too small for them, and I wanted something sturdier than the OEM paper ones. Anyway, I think my camera is somewhat similar to yours, and after looking at it and talking to Bob, I don't think it's a DIY project. The camera needs to be disassembled, the new bellows glued (and maybe trimmed first). I would leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. Marflex would be the best of course. Just my opinion....

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Yeah, maybe using the grid lines and a small level in my pocket is best. The one I have is a bit large and doesn't always sit flat on top of the camera so that's the main problem really. If I could find one that is 2-3 inches long that may be better. I was just wondering what other Technika (or I guess other field camera) users do.

Richard--I've used Bob Watkins for lots of repairs and he's a great craftsman. But I'm not talking about routine bellows replacement, I'm wondering what I could do if I'm shooting in Lagos and I push the front rise a little too far and damage the bellows. Or if the camera gets knocked over, etc... I'm pretty sure I can't afford to hire Bob or Martin at Marflex to accompany me on my trip, so there must be some other option.

How are you finding the Chinese bellows?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I just had a new set of Chinese bellows installed in my Horseman 45FA by Bob Watkins. I had hoped that Camera Bellows could make a replacement, but the pleats were too small for them,
    So you like the Chinese bellows? My FA came to me with somewhat beatup-but-light-tight bellows and I want to change it some day.

Noah, A roll of your favorite tape might be your best friend. I can't imagine if your bellows are installed anything like mine, doing it myself.

ic-racer, I haven't used the new bellows extensively, but they seem to be fine. They are not quite as flexible as the originals, but since the movements on an FA aren't extensive I don't see any problem. That said, I don't use very wide lenses and don't know how they would perform with anything wider than about 90mm.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Noah,

Get the Chinese bellows; they are cheap but well-made, and in a worst-case scenario, you can replace your entire bellows. Buy some contact cement or whatever you can find after you arrive.

Bring black cloth tape; in an almost-best-case scenario, your bellows might need a little patching up; this will work in a pinch, and you won't have to cancel the rest of the day's shoot.

Bring a small screwdriver set, not the cheap-o $1-store kind, a quality kit.
    I have a slightly different version of this, except all the bits fit into the driver body; it's as big as two ball-point pens:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Finally, if you need to level, this can be your best friend:
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/gifts/pa...at=4,104,53218

If you're concerned about damaging the bellows, then you should probably be worried about damaging the rest. What about the ground glass, frame, etc.?

The best option would be to have a backup camera entirely. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something to keep in the suitcase in case of emergency.

Unless you know you'll be shooting handheld, why not just take the Technikardan instead? It has interchangeable bellows, yes? Bring a spare set of whatever ones you use most of the time...

-Dan

Don't worry about the bellows unless you are in a knife attack or caught in a shoot-out.
    As for the level, Linhof and Novoflex both sell a very nice 2-way bubble level. Either one, in conjunction to grid lines on the gg will easily do the job. If you don't want to pay for the Linhof or Novoflex levels then you can get the Kaiser version. And next month there will also be Gepe 2-way and 3-way ones at even lower prices.