Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fuji 4x5 instant film will all be gone

Re: Fuji 4x5 instant film will all be gone

"Instant Peel Apart film type "B & W instant film FP-3000B 45 SUPER SPEEDY"
    End of Sales Announcement

September 29, 2011

FUJIFILM Corporation

FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigetaka Komori) is an instant peel apartment type (peeling) • The film "Instant B & W Film FP-3000B 45 SUPER SPEEDY" (4 × 5 size, film black and white), and eliminates our inventory will be discontinued soon.

. . ."

I find this disconcerting, although apparently they will continue the color instant film. But the discontinuation of any film line draws a parallel to Kodak.

Despite their advanced work in digital, Kodak has never been able to shake their identity as a film company. They never were able to create an identity with digital imagery. They gave up their excellent lenses around 1960. The never followed through on their earlier large format cameras. Even with their Ektar, Medalist, Retina cameras, they never built an identity as a camera company (like Nikon, Canon, et al), nor an electronics company (like Sony, Panasonic, HP, etc.), necessary for the consumer public to view Kodak as a participant in digital technology. Their heyday revolved around the disposable cameras and one hour labs. The disposable cameras are identified by the films they use.

The Fuji business model appears to me to be very similar. They once had a camera line that was high end. But now, their camera line is primarily digital point and shoots. Like Kodak, Fuji relied on the disposable camera business and one hour labs as well and I think that therein film is their identity.

I am not aware that Fuji was as strong in digital technology as Kodak. I don't know if Fuji has non-photographic business that would help prop up their film business, but it appears from this announcement that they are dropping film lines that are not profitable. I am afraid Fuji will no be able to shed their film identity and there will be more announcements to come.

It is sad to see the two premier producers of photo products losing their foothold in photography.
    al

Just noticed this thread. I guess I may as well forget about instant 4x5 film. The writing is on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by al olson View Post
    ... although apparently they will continue the color instant film...
    Al, as I have mentioned in a few threads (apologies for repetition) in October a Fuji rep told me that the production line for FP-100C45 had been dismantled. Production of the smaller FP-100C and FP-3000B will continue.

Thanks, Helen, so it is even more dismal than I thought. I guess that's another holder I can throw away.
    al

Hello,
    I am new here, and all this talk of dicontinuation of film is getting me depressed. I am a newly minted convert from DSLR to 4x5, and my #1 concern is will there be film for me to shoot & labs to process it? Any thoughts and/or insights would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Visions,

I only shoot black and white in lf and ulf and while getting film in the boxes I want (can someone say 50 sheet boxes of TXP), I wouldn't be concerned if b/w was your thing. Can't speak to colour but would think that would be more vulnerable than monochrome.

The Fuji product discussed here is instant film and while it's loss will be hard to take (following on the heels of Polaroid tanking), it's not the end of the world so stay the course, use your cameras and enjoy the beauty of large negs.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    Hello,
    I am new here, and all this talk of dicontinuation of film is getting me depressed. I am a newly minted convert from DSLR to 4x5, and my #1 concern is will there be film for me to shoot & labs to process it? Any thoughts and/or insights would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Well, I don't think anyone is saying 4x5 film is going away, and in fact this thread is specifically about the 4x5 (size) instant "polaroid type" films made by Fuji, not darkroom processing film.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Visions:
    Yes, there will be film and there will be labs to process it. However, it won't be convenient.

Nobody where I live processes medium, let alone large, format film. There are a couple of places in Seattle which process medium format, for color and B&W. There is one which processes LF B&W, but not color. All of my color stuff has to be done in my Jobo or else sent away. I normally process my own B&W film due to cost, control, and convenience.

The instant film products are a really big help, but they aren't a critical issue. There's a LOT of Fuji instant 4x5 film still in the pipeline, and the smaller size hasn't been discontinued. The Fuji PA-145 holder (small size) is still available new.

The most important thing to know is how to use your light meter and ground glass. After that, the instant products are just nice things, and it's really convenient to preview how a shot will really look.

The products I miss are the ReadyLoad/QuickLoad packets. But that's still a convenience, not a necessity. And for 8x10, there's never been any of that available. (OK, there was the Polaroid 8x10, but that was always outside, way outside, of my budget)

Now, what would happen if there was no more C-41 film in large format? Well, maybe Kodak could be convinced ($15,000 might do it) to cut their Vision3 500T movie film in large format. The latitude on that film is incredible! I feel so left out!

If I couldn't get film in LF sizes, I'd either make my own, or cut up roll film and tape it in a holder (done that, it's prone to errors). But I don't think pictorial film won't ever be unavailable in LF. There will always be enough demand to keep one manufacturer in business. But I don't expect that last manufacturer to be Kodak.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Thank you, everyone for your insghts.

The last time I self processed was high school circa 1975. Not sure I am into chemistry again, just yet. I have been searching for a lab to send my film to and found one in my own backyard that seems pretty reasonable:

Akron Commercial Color Lab (http://www.acclimaging.com/)
    Vericolor Porta ($1.85/4x5 sheet)
    Ektachrome ($1.95/4x5 sheet)
    B&W ($1.95/4x5 sheet)
    All three films for 8x10 are $4.15

I don't know if those prices are good or not, but if so, I just may be in trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    Thank you, everyone for your insghts.

The last time I self processed was high school circa 1975. Not sure I am into chemistry again, just yet. I have been searching for a lab to send my film to and found one in my own backyard that seems pretty reasonable:

Akron Commercial Color Lab (http://www.acclimaging.com/)
    Vericolor Porta ($1.85/4x5 sheet)
    Ektachrome ($1.95/4x5 sheet)
    B&W ($1.95/4x5 sheet)
    All three films for 8x10 are $4.15

I don't know if those prices are good or not, but if so, I just may be in trouble!
    My local LF processors are Uphoto (jerks) and Dodge Chrome (awesome dudes) in Beltsville, MD and Silver Spring, MD, respectively. Their prices are:

Uphoto:

4x5 E6: 2.50
    4x5 B&W: $3.50

Dodge Chrome:

4x5 E6: 3.10
    4x5 C41: 3.10
    4x5 B&W: 3.50

So ACCL's prices are VERY reasonable.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)