Thread: Kayaks on Thousand Island Lake

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Kayaks on Thousand Island Lake

Wow, I am sooooo jealous of your great trip!
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Drew Wiley

A lot smarter idea than what I was did as a teenager. A couple of us found a rotten
    inflatable raft behind a tree. The lake was at 9000ft early summer with a lot of ice
    still floating on it. We blew up the raft and patched the pinholes with pine sap, then
    carved a couple of oars. Paddled to an island a couple hundred yards offshore for some
    exceptional trout fishing. But halfway back the boat sank, so we had to swim about
    100 yds through the ice floes. I was literally blue and suprised we had survived.

Looks like you had an excellent trip

Sounds wonderful!

I have a two person Klepper (about 17 foot). It would be fun to get on a lake like that...it has been a few decades since I was at Thousand Island Lake! The Klepper is over 30 years old and still doing well!

While I hiked and hand-led the mules for most of my wilderness ranger days, occasionally I rode a horse. I was always getting off to walk to loosen up my knees...and to relieve the poor animal that had to carry my weight up steep trails!

But before I pack in the Klepper on mules, I would have my 8x10 packed into the high country. I had that done and it was wonderful!

Vaughn

Preston Birdwell

Looks great! The Ritter Range is one of my favorite places in the Sierra. What a place float lazily on the water under those mountains! The shots from Banner Peak bring back memories of my climb--we did it from Ediza up to the Banner-Ritter Saddle. We also wanted to do Ritter, but there were too many rocks flying down the high angle bowling alley!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I would love to do that sometime... I'm jealous! Looks like a beautiful place.
    Regards
    Erik

I was just there two weeks ago... and couldn't believe how many kayaks were on that lake. Fairly long portage!
    Robert Oliver

Looks like a great time! I have been there several times and you could not find a more beautiful place to kayak.