Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: help needed: Glass negatives...

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    2,137

    help needed: Glass negatives...

    I just found in my house some packs of old glass negatives - unopened...

    (Don't remember where I got them from...)

    I'd like to try them, but I have no idea what iso to try - and what development to use...

    Any help from you experts?

    First is called "Eisenberger"

    Second is Ilford "Auto filter plates"..

    Third has only danish text:

    "Extra rapide "Ideal"" ---

    size is 18x24cm for all....

    Could be so much fun to try them out...

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,335

    Re: help needed: Glass negatives...

    You are going to have to experiment.
    I would start with a test by exposing at EIs 3, 6 and 12.
    Develop by inspection in D-23 with some benzotriazole added to combat fog.
    If you aren't knowledgeable about DBI, start with 5- 8 minutes @70 deg.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: help needed: Glass negatives...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    You are going to have to experiment.
    I would start with a test by exposing at EIs 3, 6 and 12.
    Develop by inspection in D-23 with some benzotriazole added to combat fog.
    If you aren't knowledgeable about DBI, start with 5- 8 minutes @70 deg.


    heh - I am not familiar with D-23 and I have no idea what DBI means, so.....

    But test I will..

  4. #4
    William Whitaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the Southern Part of Heaven
    Posts
    1,301

    Re: help needed: Glass negatives...

    Develop By Inspection
    In this context, anyway. Michael Smith has a piece on it at http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/devinsp.html.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: help needed: Glass negatives...

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Develop By Inspection
    In this context, anyway. Michael Smith has a piece on it at http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/devinsp.html.
    thanks - I had no idea...

  6. #6
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta
    Posts
    1,522

    Re: help needed: Glass negatives...

    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post


    heh - I am not familiar with D-23 and I have no idea what DBI means, so.....

    But test I will..
    And Ken Lee has a section on D23:

    http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/D-23.php

    Unless you buy it from the Formulary or some similar place you will probably have to mix it yourself, but it's almost silly simple and cheap. The pre-measured Formulary kit is NOT cheap, but is an easy way to try it out before you buy the components separately:

    http://stores.photoformulary.com/-st...%2C/Detail.bok

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: help needed: Glass negatives...

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    And Ken Lee has a section on D23:

    http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/D-23.php

    Unless you buy it from the Formulary or some similar place you will probably have to mix it yourself, but it's almost silly simple and cheap. The pre-measured Formulary kit is NOT cheap, but is an easy way to try it out before you buy the components separately:

    http://stores.photoformulary.com/-st...%2C/Detail.bok
    thanks for the links - looks like science fiction with those goggles....

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hamilton, Canada
    Posts
    1,715

    Re: help needed: Glass negatives...

    The collector in me says it wishes you would save these intact.
    But if you must, try to get photos of something that would maintain it's unused value; like naked girls.
    Last edited by cowanw; 28-Aug-2011 at 14:20.

  9. #9
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,546

    Re: help needed: Glass negatives...

    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    But if you must, try to get photos of something that would maintain is unused value; like naked girls.
    I'll settle for half-naked.

  10. #10
    All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    3,377

    Re: help needed: Glass negatives...

    Gandolfi, I would use a two-developer stup for these old things: One low contrast developer, one high contrast. And develop by inspection, of course..

    I have a good recipe at home, and I'll be driving home tomorrow. I'll see if I can find it!

Similar Threads

  1. Converting film holders for glass negatives
    By dwross in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-Nov-2007, 12:49
  2. A cloud-like pattern on my negatives
    By Thomas Greutmann in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-Oct-2007, 09:43
  3. OOF film with new ground glass
    By Tim Shawcross in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 5-Jul-2006, 23:18
  4. Changing Linhof "Ground glass"
    By Varakan Ten Tipprapa in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2004, 09:11
  5. Newtons Rings? - replace your scanner glass!
    By John Griffin in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-Nov-2001, 04:57

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •