Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6x17 camera reflections

6x17 camera reflections

I currently own the Linhof 617S with Schneider 90/5,6 and I just love it.

BUT!

I'm thinking of selling it to buy a cheaper model and I've been looking at either the Dayi or Gaoersi models. But what do I lose if I buy one of theses models compered to the Linhof?

Also a lens question:

The Schneider optics require a center filter (whitch I have) but from what I've heard the Nikkor 90/4,5 (maybe the 90/8 aswell?) doesn't require this, is that correct?

Thanks!

Re: 6x17 camera reflections

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    I currently own the Linhof 617S with Schneider 90/5,6 and I just love it.

BUT!

I'm thinking of selling it to buy a cheaper model and I've been looking at either the Dayi or Gaoersi models. But what do I lose if I buy one of theses models compered to the Linhof?

Also a lens question:

The Schneider optics require a center filter (whitch I have) but from what I've heard the Nikkor 90/4,5 (maybe the 90/8 aswell?) doesn't require this, is that correct?

Thanks!
    You'll loose the Linhof quality and workmanship of your camera and the superiority of its viewfinder. I cannot imagine a reason why would somebody want to acquire a Chinese 6x17 camera having already a Linhof 617S - unless you want to use lenses not available for the Linhof piece.
    And no, Schneider 90/5.6 lens does not require a centre filter - I have the Linhof 6x17 camera with this lens and don't uses the filter at all. Don't see any need for it.
    Nikon 90mm lenses need or don't the centre filter in the same way as Schneider 90mm lens.

Nikon WA lenses as well as Fuji ones, just like Schneider and Rodenstock ones, can benefit from a center filter. Nikon did not change physics when they made their lenses. They simply did not make or offer a center filter for their lenses as Rodenstock and Schneider do.

Any 90mm lens expected to cover the 6x17 format benefits from a center filter. I sometimes don't use mine and the ends of the negative are obviously under-exposed. Sometimes this is an advantage.

The reason for selling my Linhof and buy a Dayi or Gaoersi is simply to afford a 8x10 camera instead. I really like the 6x17 format, but I can't really justify a high value camera like the Linhof just for that reason.

having owned a Gaoersi 6x17, and having used(but not owned) a Linhof 617SIII, I'd seriously have 2nd thoughts about selling the Linhof. Seriously...

If you've never used an 8x10 camera(of any kind/brand), you'll know that it takes a great deal more space, and effort to lug it around. Some here use baby carriers(strollers) to get to farther-reached destinations from the car, where as a 6x17(even with multiple lenses) can be considerably lighter and more agile than an 8x10.

Now, if you're looking at an 8x10 for a larger negative to print from, then yes, that's an advantage. But why not a 4x10 camera instead, if you like panoramic photographs? You can still crop it to your desired format, but still maintaining a large negative that is on a thicker/more stable base than rollfilm, IMO...

decisions, decisions, but I'd test out an 8x10(if u haven't already) before making a final decision.

And ask yourself these questions:

1. Why do I want to go to 8x10?
    2. Why do I want/need to sell the Linhof?
    3. What can't I do with either camera that the other provides?
    4. Can I afford to shoot 8x10?(FYi, I'm 23, but I decided to get an extra job, just to fund my photography(8x10 for me) habit). Are you that serious, if necessary, to have the funds for LF photography vs rollfilm(which is cheaper per shot generally).

-Dan

@ DanielStone:

You got me wrong, man.

What I meen is that I want to keep a 6x17 camera (but if I sell the Linhof and buy a Dayi/Gaoersi I could get a few bucks in between)

So I don't wanna replace the 6x17 with a 8x10.

The 8x10 is for studio-purpose only (allmost only)

For a studio, I would buy an 8x10 view camera. They are very reasonable now. Keep the linhof. I have never owned a linhof but have never heard of anyone regretting it. You might lose more selling a depreciated, used Linhof and buying a new Chinese camera than a used 8x10 view camera would cost.

Sell the Linhof! The negatives won't know the difference but your wallet will!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by devtank View Post
    Sell the Linhof! The negatives won't know the difference but your wallet will!
    +1.

If not for an 8x10, do it to get another lens/cone for the new camera.

As for the viewfinder, I don't use one. So that's moot for me. Mind you, Van Camper has come up with a great idea, strapping a P&S digital to the top of his Fotoman, calibrating it to the lens' view and using it as a Live View screen for quick shooting (I believe that he uses it for shooting yachting).

Done well, it would be much easier to use than ANY viewfinder.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky