Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adapting Half Plate Tailboard?

Foamer

Adapting Half Plate Tailboard?

I've been doing some minor repairs on the c.1885 Watson tailboard I bought earlier, intending to use it soon. I have two holders for it. These are the wooden book style for half plate glass. Instead of sliding straight down into the camera back, they have sort of notches on the left side and go in by inserting that edge first, then swinging the rest of the holder into place and then sliding it down a few inches. I'm finding these old holders are harder to put 4x5 sheet film in than I first thought. Here's what I'm thinking of doing. Couldn't I take one of the holders to a woodworker who specializes in antiques/restoration and have him fabricate a wooden adapter with outside dimensions exactly like my half plate holders, and make it so I can simply use modern 4x5 holders in it? A modern holder looks like it would easily fit into those dimensions. That would make the camera much easier to use, and the results should be better rather than trying to force a sheet of 4x5 to behave in an old dry plate holder. Anyone ever done anything like this? And no, I'm not a purist.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Adapting Half Plate Tailboard?

Can you remove the back entirely? Is it a revolving back? If so, make a 5x4 reducing back.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Can you remove the back entirely? Is it a revolving back? If so, make a 5x4 reducing back.
    The back is removeable. The ground glass swings out of the way on hinges, and the back comes off so I can rotate it. What I was thinking was to simply make an adapter that fits into the current back in plce of the holder, that can accept regular 4x5 holders.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Nope, much easier to make a whole reducing back, in fact you may find one for a 10x8 or 5x7 camera that you can cut down. I'd previously made one for a half plate Kodak using a 5x4 spring back and a spare sheet of timber.

I personally think these Watson type cameras are so attractive that changing the whole back out is rather sad.

But:

"Couldn't I take one of the holders to a woodworker who specializes in antiques/restoration and have him fabricate a wooden adapter with outside dimensions exactly like my half plate holders"

Yes, but you have to find someone with the suitable skills, raw materials (spanish mahogany), who will except your demands for fraction of a mm accuracy (depth) and will do this for next to nothing.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I personally think these Watson type cameras are so attractive that changing the whole back out is rather sad.

Yes, but you have to find someone with the suitable skills, raw materials (spanish mahogany), who will except your demands for fraction of a mm accuracy (depth) and will do this for next to nothing.

Yes, I'm really trying hard to not mess up the appearance. It's the big reason I bought the thing in the first place. I think I'd be happy with any hardwood stained to match. I think I could get the accuracy needed by slowly sanding off the adapter until it fit, or adding shims if needed. My other thought was to take one of the two holders I have that came with the camera and gut it so it accepts a 4x5 holder. I really don't want to do that though. It's been doing its job for over 100 years, and I would rather not be the one that comes along and Fs-it up. Another thought is to get some solid black foam and carve it out into what I need.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

I have two wooden field cameras: An 8x10 Kodak 2-D and an early Zone VI in 4x5. Neither of them is considered "antique" or collectible. Yet I feel as though I am less their owner and more a conservator or steward. With care, they will each outlive me as they have outlived their first "owners".

You have a true antique artifact of photographic history. By all means, delight in it and use it. But I would strongly urge you to avoid modifying it from its original purpose. Have a new back made to take sheet film holders. There are craftsmen available on this board who can fabricate whatever it might take to allow you to shoot film in your camera and still keep it true to its beginnings.

Another thought: There are people doing wet plate photography today who would love to have such a camera. Sell or trade it to a wet plate photographer and get a sheet film camera.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Yet I feel as though I am less their owner and more a conservator or steward. With care, they will each outlive me as they have outlived their first "owners".

You have a true antique artifact of photographic history. By all means, delight in it and use it. But I would strongly urge you to avoid modifying it from its original purpose. Have a new back made to take sheet film holders. There are craftsmen available on this board who can fabricate whatever it might take to allow you to shoot film in your camera and still keep it true to its beginnings.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. The camera is about 120 years old and I don't want to be the one that screws it up! Who are these people that can make me an adapter? So far they haven't responded to me.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

I'd sooner screw up a camera that was sitting unused for 80 years, than leave it unused for another 80.

I have re-read the first post.
    As far as I can see, all you need is a decent set of 1/2 plate film sheaves. This was a standard size when Kodak Eastman produced them by the 1,000's. I sold a number of this size last year. They appear on ebay as well as here. It is a good system and Kodak printed what they were and size number on the back. The film sheaves can be loaded with film and inserted in the old plate back.
    I assume your camera looks like:-
    Does it have the fitments for the stereo option?