Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID This Brass Lens

ID This Brass Lens

Sorry for the lousy photos - they're from the seller. It seems to be an f8 and says Extra Rapid Aplanat No 3 and below that Series G? From the design/construcion of the lens and the text, anyone have any thoughts as to who made it? I'm figuring its a European maker - it's an aplanat not an RR, and it says serie, not series.

Eventually it'll show up and I'll be able to figure out its focal length and what it covers but I'm guessing around 9-10" and whole plate.

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: ID This Brass Lens

Well, it was sold on the German market.
    Busch reached serie E, Goerz reached series F but no ideas about who made a serie G! The curved transition from barrel to hood might give someone an idea?
    Tradition at the time was that size 3 around 13x18cm to 18x24cm (small stops). The much sold Busch serie D was 26cm efl.

Steven,

I hoped you would have some ideas. I couldn't find a series G in the VM. Maybe there will be more clues once I get the lens in hand. It definitely looks like a G, right?

Dan

Not that it means anything, but the script "Rapid" on this lens does not seem to match the style of my Rapid Paraplanat by Goerz. Also, doesn't match any Busch lens I've seen.

Dan

A "G" I think!
    First thing to do is to check the F. An "extra rapid" could be an F6 rather than the usual F7.7 - 8.
    I would also have guessed that this is really right size for a full plate camera. Sometimes, apparently anon. lenses are identifiable.
    The enclosed, also a size 3 extra rapid, was given a name through the VM! A German lens, given a French engraving sold in the UK market! Made by Steinheil.

Steven,

The lens arrived today - I will need to clean it up and mount it in a board and will put it on my 8x10 next week (after the hurricane blows through). A quick projection onto a wall suggests the focal length is around 12". But, the aperture, which is marked f8, is only 7/8". Perhaps my crude measure of 12" is optimistic, and this is actually an American system f8? Not that it would be very "extra rapid" at more than f11...

Dan

Taking it outside on my 2-D, it's around 10 1/2 - 11" in focal length, and its definitely dimmer than an f8 RR so I"m guessing that f8 marking to be the US system. But, its marked extra-rapid... Even wide open, its illuminating 8x10 although I don't know if I'd call it covered.

Dan

I don't understand this!
    Are both lenses two glass achromats? Some periscope designs were called (periscope) aplanats.

They look to be two identical doublets. The focal length of each is around double the pair (from cursory projection onto a wall). I will need to compare the angle of view of this lens to others I have of similar focal length (#2 Goerz Paraplanat, 12" T-R perhaps) but I don't believe it to be particularly wide. I suppose compared to an f14+ periscop, this would be considered extra-rapid.

Dan

Your #2 Paraplanat has a efl of 21cm. 8 1/4". Will cover full plate at lower stops. 80 deg coverage and F7.5.
    What are you measuring with - a shrinking tape measure!!?