Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fred Picker

Fred Picker

Let me introduce myself. I am Richard T Ritter and worked at Zone VI Studios for 15 years under Fred Picker. At Zone VI I was responsible for the design and dev elopment of many of the produce Fred tough would be an improvement to the fine a rt of black and white photography. In the nintys when Calumet bought Zone VI I l eft the company and started work to develop a business to the repair of large fo rmat equipment.

Fred Picker for a number of years has been in poor health. He asked that his fri ends and family keep this to themselves.

I?m sorry to report Fred Picker died on April 4, 2002.

Richard T Ritter
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Fred Picker

Thank you for the information, Richard. I am sure that many frequent members would want to know.

May Fred rest in peace.

Fred Picker

Yeah, rest in peace. A good soldier. -JB

Fred Picker

Always opinionated and oft times controversial, his dedication to large format photography was a light at the end of the tunnel for me. I still read a couple of well worn issues of his Zone VI news letter, #24 Arpil 1980 sits at my elbow even now, just to keep the juices flowing.

Here's a toast to Key Day exposure's and the perfect proof.

"....rage, rage against the dying of the light." Dylan Thomas

Fred Picker

Wasn't it Fred that said you can never, ever take pictures of cows or covered bridges, because they have been taken a million times already?

Fred Picker

Paula and I are sorry to hear that Fred died. We only met him once, about 6 or 7 years ago, I think. To our great surprise (since we were well aware of Fred's feistyness and reputation for being difficult) he was as gracious as could be. And he looked longer and more carefully at our photographs than anyone else ever had before, or ever has since. All we knew of his own photographs were the terrible reproductions in his books. To our surprise, we saw that he made beautiful prints and was a far better photographer than we had imagined. It was a memorable day. Although we didn't see him again, we'll miss him.

Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee

Fred Picker

Thanks for the news, Richard. Fred was "one of a kind". He did more than most anyone I can think of to advance the practice of photography in the last 25 years. His contributions will continue to live through his books, videos and the excellent equipment he brought to the market through Zone VI Studios.
    Alec

Fred Picker

Deeply sorry to hear about Fred. Many, including myself, got their interest kindled in large format photography because of his passion for the art and his truly entrepreneurial spirit. For this unique combination, he was a true pioneer that will be significantly missed.

All of our best to his family in this time of sorrow.

Fred Picker

DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!

One of the unsung greats! I attanded on of his work shops around 1978. I remember Wes Disney, Sue Barron, Martin Tartar, Lil Farber, and the others. It was one of the most moving and inspirational times of my life and set me straight on the road to personal expression. DAMN DAMN DAMN! I do not know what to say right now!! This is a great loss. DAMN

Fred Picker

Peace to you Fred ...on your journey onward.....you did much for us!